The development of the territory on which Chianciano Terme is located today began in the time of the Etruscans, as evidenced by numerous burials. They belong to the beginning of the 7th - the end of the 6th century BC. The town is located at an altitude of almost 500m above sea level at a distance of 89km from Siena, the center of the province, 120km from Florence, the capital of the region, and 170km from Rome.
Chianciano Terme is located in a picturesque place of Tuscany between the amazingly beautiful cultural landscape of Val d'Orcia, included in the UNESCO list of protection, and the fertile Valdiciana Valley, not far from the picturesque Italian towns of Montepulciano and Pienza. The resort is one of the oldest in Europe and the only one in the country providing treatment for patients with diabetes. Today, there are about 7500 people living here, and there are much more spa visitors during the year.
Chianciano Terme & Spa
Etruscans have known about the healing properties of thermal water since ancient times, as evidenced by everyday objects and artifacts found by archaeologists related to the water cult. A little later, the Romans visited the sources in order to heal their health. Contemporaries claim that Emperor Augustus, thanks to local waters and mud, managed to get rid of liver disease and significantly improve his health.
Chianciano baths offer a variety of therapies, such as the:
- balneological - baths, drinking water, hydromassage, shower, saunas,
- motor - gymnastics and rehabilitation procedures,
- mud therapy - warming, wraps, mud baths and massages,
- inhalation - wet and dry,
- physiotherapy - massages, lymphatic drainage,
- Ayurvedic - based on naturopathy,
- respiratory etc.
Thermal springs in Chianciano Terme supply four types of healing water. It varies in composition, temperature, purpose and method of use. Leaving the resort, vacationers can bring bottled water with them.
- Santa (L’Acqua Santa) - stimulates the improvement of metabolism, eliminates the effects of drug intoxication, treats diseases of the liver, bile ducts and helps get rid of gastrointestinal problems. The drinking spring is located in the old Santa Park. Water emerges from a rocky grotto with a temperature of 33 degrees, it contains calcium bicarbonate and sulfates. In the park there is the newest Terme Sensoriorial complex, which operates on the basis of naturopathy, which helps rejuvenate the skin, relieve the feeling of fatigue and forget about cellulite.
- Sillenne (L’Acqua Sillene) - the water temperature in the source is 38.5 degrees. In the place where he emerges from the ground, water rituals were carried out by ancient Etruscans. Sillene is used to prepare therapeutic muds that relieve joint pain and stimulate the circulatory as well as the cardiovascular system, which stabilizes blood pressure. Minerals have a positive effect on the skin, so a whole cosmetic line has been created on the basis of water.
- Fucoli (L’Acqua Fucoli) - the composition of medicinal drinking water does not differ from L’Acqua Santa, but the concentration of minerals in it is different. A temperature of 16.5 degrees suggests another time for taking Fucoli - noon. It helps regulate intestinal motility, relieves inflammation in gastritis, activates digestive activity and has a diuretic effect. The source is located in Fucoli Park.
- Santissima (L’Acqua Santissima) - water has a rich mineral composition and low temperature, only 24 degrees. It is used for inhalation and as an aerosol in the treatment of bronchitis, rhinitis and other chronic respiratory diseases. Santissima has a sedative, expectorant, and also anti-inflammatory effect on the mucous membrane.
Attractions Chianciano Terme
In Chianciano Terme you can visit and see:
- Church of Immacolata (Chiesa dell'Immacolata), restored in the middle of the 16th century. after destruction as a result of hostilities,
- Church of San Giovanni Batista, built in the early 13th century,
- Church of the Madonna della Rosa, which appeared at the end of the 16th century,
- private villa La Foz with lemon and fountain gardens, access to which is open once a week,
- garden of Villa Simoneschi with rather rare plants and a chapel,
- city gates - the port of Ravellini, which appeared in the Renaissance,
- museums, etc.
Treatment in Chianciano Terme
The resort of Chianciano has 4 main sources: Santa, Santissima, Fucoli and Sillen.
The mineral spring Santa (+ 30 ° С) beats in one of the largest parks of the resort. Its waters are high in bicarbonates, sulfates and calcium. This is the main healing water of the resort, which is used for the prevention and treatment of diseases of the liver and bile ducts, with inflammation of the gallbladder, gallstone disease, pain in the digestive tract, as well as for the treatment of metabolic disorders, prevention of osteoporosis and after prolonged use of medications.
The waters of Santissima (+ 24 ° C) are hypothermic, rich in mineral salts. They are used for inhalation and aerosol therapy for tracheitis, sinusitis, rhinitis, laryngitis and chronic bronchitis.
Fucoli (+ 16.5 ° C) - a mineral spring with cold water having the same composition as Santa, but in a different proportion. This water is used for diseases of the stomach, to regulate digestive activity, to activate the diuretic system.
The waters of Sillene (+ 38.5 ° С) beat on a hill - in the very place where the ancient Etruscans performed their magic rituals. Its waters are used to infuse healing mud and stimulate blood circulation, help lower blood pressure. Moreover, they are widely used in cosmetology, because they have moisturizing, nourishing and regenerating qualities. Based on them, a cosmetic line was created.
First of all, at least briefly tell about the province of Siena in Italy, because it is there that the resort that interests us is located. Siena is located in the Tuscany region (pizza lovers probably know about this), and its administrative center is the city of the same name. In Siena, which consists of 36 communes, a little more than 260 thousand inhabitants live (in Italy, the commune is the territory consisting of one main city - the commune is named after it and gets its name - and the surrounding area).
In ancient times, Siena was called the Siena Republic and was the main competitor to Florence (which is located next to Siena). In the mid-sixteenth century, it became part of the Tuscan Duchy, and now is the most famous part of Tuscany. It is in Siena in Italy that there are many attractions of this entire region - and not only the sources of interest to us. The Franks Road - evidence of ancient routes, many ancient castles and medieval squares, several UNESCO heritage sites - all this and much more can be found in the province of Siena. Therefore, we strongly recommend staying there for at least a couple of days - you will not be disappointed!
Each thermal spring has its own treatment profile. Karlovy Vary (another well-known source located in the Czech Republic), for example, goes to eliminate problems with the stomach, intestines and esophagus - they treat ulcers, intestinal disorders, and so on. As for the thermal resort of Chianciano Terme, its specialization is diseases of the liver and biliary tract, as well as the musculoskeletal system and respiratory system. In addition, diabetics come here - healing sources help to successfully overcome diabetes.
In total, several sources operate on the territory of the balneological resort in Chianciano Terme, but four main ones. These are Aqua Santa, Aqua Fucoli, Aqua Santissima and Aqua Sillen. Next, we will tell you a little more in detail about each of them, but first you need to say that in Chianchano Terme a unique structure has been developed aimed at cleansing and healing the body. In addition to sources, there are diagnostic, medical and rehabilitation centers of completely different profiles, mud and inhalation centers, beauty salons and spas. It is important that each of these institutions works all year round and accepts patients of any age within its walls.
Understanding Chianciano Terme's infrastructure is easy. The resort has three main buildings. The diagnostic center includes various medical facilities, a spa center - beauty establishments, and Terme Sillene - directly sources.
It is the most popular source of all four. It has the most comfortable temperature - plus 33 degrees, and in its composition it contains sulfate, calcium, bicarbonate, as well as several other useful macrocells. Drinking water from Aqua Santa on an empty stomach in the morning.
The source is located surrounded by centuries-old trees, the view from here is amazing. The panorama here inspired Federico Fellini for the movie “8 and a half,” and the writer Luigi Pirandello made Aqua Santo a scene in one of his short stories.
Aqua Fucoli, located in the resort's eponymous park, is a cold spring, the water temperature is only 16 degrees above zero. And although the composition of the water is about the same as that of the source of Aqua Santa, the ratio of the components is somewhat different. Water from Aqua Fucoli is taken after a meal in the afternoon. Both Aqua Santa and Aqua Fucoli are intended for the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases, but the water in Aqua Fucoli is weak and is considered as a supplement to Aqua Santa.
The third source is mainly used by those who came to treat respiratory diseases. It is hypothermic, there is a huge amount of mineral salts, and therefore its waters are the best suited precisely for combating the above ailments. Water temperature - plus 24 degrees, it is used either in the form of inhalation, or as an aerosol.
Finally, the warmest Aqua Sillene (+38.5 degrees) due to its moisturizing and nourishing properties (such components are included in it) is used not so much in the treatment of diseases (except for diseases of the musculoskeletal system), but in cosmetology.
Water of this spring is also actively used in mud therapy. It is interesting, by the way, that this source is located on a hill, where before, during the Etruscans, there was a temple - there the Etruscans performed their magical rites.
How to get to Chianciano Terme, Italy
There is nothing complicated about it. The nearest international airport is in Rome. After landing there, you should take the train that runs every fifteen minutes to the central railway station of the Italian capital. Then you need to get to the station called Chiusi. A regular bus runs from there every twenty minutes directly to Chianciano Terme, and it’s not far to go - the distance between Chianciano and Chiusi is about seven kilometers.
If you intend to undertake such a march-throw by car, you should know that your highway is A1. On it you also get to Chiusi, turn off and, following the signs, get to Chianciano Terme.
What do those who have been there say about the resort? According to reviews, Chianciano Terme is a unique place, after staying in which you really feel better. Many note the friendliness of local specialists and staff, the cleanliness and neatness around, incredibly tasty food. The results of the procedures of the Chianciano Terme patients are impressive - they, according to reviews, have a truly positive and beneficial effect on the body.
- Many films are shot in Chianciano Terme, in particular, it was here that director Tarkovsky shot his “Nostalgia”.
- Among the departments in local medical centers there is a specialized nursery, including asthma.
- In no resort in Italy is diabetes treated anymore.
- The resort's only thermal service, Terme Sensoriali, is located in the resort, where it is treated with naturopathy.
- In the province of Siena, the world-famous Palio festival takes place twice a year - horseback riding.
- It is here that cosmonauts come for rehabilitation.
Even if you go to Italy not for the sake of treatment, but for pleasure, and the province of Siena with the thermal springs of Chianciano Terme did not fit into your initial route, spend a couple of days to get to know this corner of Italy. You will not regret it!