Thailand is not just an eastern center of world tourism, but also a country with a rich cultural and historical heritage, offering travelers attractions in almost every resort in the country (Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Krabi Province and other regions).
Bangkok is a city that is visited by almost everyone who comes to Thailand. Even if you find yourself traveling here, linger at least a few hours to see the capital in all its glory. Many tourists coming to Bangkok experience a real cultural shock from what they saw. What is the historical center with its majestic temples of Wat Phra Keo, Wat Arun and Wat Pho. Bangkok is also famous for its many water canals and temple complexes. Floating markets as well as attractions in Banglampu and Chinatown are popular with tourists.
You have not seen Bangkok unless you visit the following attractions:
- Royal Palace. In the event that you have very little time for Bangkok and you can explore only one place, go to the Royal Palace. Most current rulers can only envy the luxury and decoration of this complex. On the territory of the construction is the world famous Emerald Buddha. Currently, the palace has been largely handed over for excursions, only some halls are still used for important international meetings and ceremonies.
- Wat Pho is another cult place that everyone who came to Bangkok is trying to visit. The Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho) in Bangkok is considered the oldest in the capital. It was rebuilt by King Rama I. The main attraction inside is the statue of the Reclining Buddha, which reaches a length of 45 meters. There are also several active Thai massage schools, where you can relax or get a new skill, but for this you will have to stay in Bangkok for at least a week.
- Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun) is famous for its stunning views from the highest tier of the building. Wherever you are in Bangkok you will almost always see the top of this building. On the temple territory there are many statues of warriors, animals, residents of the country, etc.
- The Golden Buddha Temple is another place Bangkok is famous for. In the 50s of the last century, the land was bought by a private company on the condition that the ugly Buddha statue be removed from there, but something went wrong during transportation and the statue fell. The breakaway pieces exposed the pure gold of which this statue was actually made. It was not possible to trace the history of the appearance of the Golden Buddha in the country, but today it is attributed to the main attractions of Thailand.
What to see in Thailand - name, photo and description
Thailand is more than half a million square kilometers of land, three thousand kilometers of the sea coast with stunning beaches, three hundred islands in the waters of the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, more than a hundred biosphere reserves, as well as stunning national architecture and countless historical and natural monuments.
Even for a brief overview of all the existing sights of the Kingdom, it would be necessary to write a book of medium thickness, and a cursory examination of the places described in it would have to spend months of life. Therefore, in this article, only the most popular sights of the country. Viewing them will give tourists aesthetic pleasure and enrich their knowledge of the culture and nature of Thailand.
Exciting excursions for holidaymakers and travelers in 350 cities of the world: Tripster.ru is a service of unusual excursions from local residents and guides who can tell interesting and exciting things about the most interesting in their cities.
Popular tourist regions
Thailand is divided into 76 provinces. Each of them is interesting in its own way and has several natural-historical monuments or just picturesque nature. Among these provinces stand out 8 regions that are especially popular with tourists: 2 of them are located off the coast of the Andaman Sea, 5 in the Gulf of Thailand and 1 in the north of the country.
This island is Thailand's first most popular seaside resort among tourists from countries of the former USSR.. In all of Southeast Asia, there is no place with an even more numerous Russian-speaking diaspora. The Russian language can be found here every minute and everywhere, not only in spoken language, but also on the signs of many institutions in the service sector.
Phuket is an island only nominally because it located just 600 meters from the mainland and connected to it by a road bridge. In addition, it is so densely built up with tourist facilities that it seems that it will soon turn into one big city, so here you do not feel like an island.
- an international airport accepting direct flights from Russia,
- bus station and ferry shipyard,
- hotels and private property of all price categories,
- First-class services, in particular hundreds of nightclubs, go-go bars, sea restaurants, water sports schools.
- snow-white beaches with coral sand - Kamala, Patong, Bang Tao, Surin,
- small islands around Phuket - they can be reached with a sea excursion,
- Buddhist temples and monasteries - Phra Nang Sang, Phra Thong, Chalong,
- the picturesque mountain of Khao Rank,
- national parks - Khao Pra Teo and Sinang,
- waterfalls in the middle of the jungle - Namtok Tonsai and Bang Pae,
- pearl farms.
Krabi Province is located 50 km east of Phuket. She still cannot boast of such a diverse and high-quality service sector as party island next door, but tourists go there not so much for parties in nightclubs, but for the sake of unique nature and the most beautiful beaches in the country.
There are several jungle and marine reserves and islandswhich is definitely worth a visit with a guided tour. In addition, this place is not only beautiful, but also very cheap. Vacation prices here are an order of magnitude lower than in hyped Phuket.
All resort and tourist life of Krabi It is concentrated not in the provincial capital - Krabi town, but in several coastal villages and islands: Ao Nang, Phi Phi, Railayand so forth
The coast of the Gulf of Thailand
The main resorts and tourist regions of the Gulf of Thailand are Pattaya, Hua Hin and Samui. It stands apart from these places Bangkok, which is also located by the sea, but separated from it by a narrow strip of mangrove forests, which make swimming impossible. There are no beaches in the city, because the capital is not considered a seaside resort, but it is a very interesting place for tourism.
Pattaya is the most popular Thai resort. The reason for his huge attendance is that this city is located just 140 km from Bangkok. An air ticket to the capital of Thailand is very cheap, so many tourists who want to save time and money on vacation, first fly an inexpensive flight to Bangkok, and from there go by bus or taxi to the resort nearest to the capital.
This place cannot boast of the cleanliness of streets and beaches, as well as beautiful natural attractions. But it hosts the most unbridled and noisy parties in the whole country, and the number of hotels and objects of the tourist services sector exceeds all possible limits. Some tourists joke that on the roofs of Pattaya bars, nightclubs, restaurants and brothels, you can walk from one end of the city to the other.
The Samui archipelago includes three islands - Samui, Phangan and Tau. Samui among them is the largest (and the third largest in the country) and the most developed in terms of infrastructure. It is positioned as a place for family vacations, quiet recreation and eco-tourism, which is facilitated by the magnificent nature and the abundance of coral sand beaches.
Those who crave parties on Koh Samui have nothing to do, but they can take a ferry to the neighboring island of Phangan, where they arrange monthly thousands party “Fool moon party”.
Sights of Thailand by region:
- Tours to Thailand from all possible tour operators first-hand Pegas, Tez Tour, Coral Travel, Anex, etc.
- Search and compare prices for individual resorts and hotels.
- Last-minute tours first-hand. Real-time information update, instant notification of a new burning offer.
- Booking and payment by credit card.
- Use the same tools for ordering as travel agencies, exclude the extra link!
Thailand and its regions
As is known, Thailand - the country is quite large and diverse. Unlike not very large Cambodia, Thailand can be divided into several large regions, which more or less coincide with the location of tourist attractions, interesting to a wide range of tourists from around the world (see diagram).
Map of Thailand Regions
I will list the main regions of Thailand:
- The first is Bangkok - The capital of Thailand and the city where most of the tourists first of all fly, starting their acquaintance with the country and its attractions there.
- Secondly, beach resorts in Thailandwhere guests from Russia usually get for the first time. Therefore, for them, Thailand is primarily its beaches. It is important to understand that Thailand is not an island like the Maldives, but part of the mainland in Southeast Asia. Therefore, Thailand has several coasts:
- The west coast of the Gulf of Thailand, where there are resorts such as the island Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Hua Hin, Cha-Am, Chumpon and many others.
- The east coast of the Gulf of Thailand is a well-known resort Pattaya, islands of Koh Chang, Koh Samet and others.
- Andaman coast in the Indian Ocean, where the famous island Phuketresorts Krabi including Phi phi, Phang Nga, Khao Lak and the islands of Similan and Surin.
- The next most popular region in the Kingdom is north of thailand. It is usually customary to separate two northern directions: with the center in the cities Chiang mai and Chiang raibut I will combine them into one.
- Central plains also traditionally divided into northern and southern. I will also talk about their attractions, because they are united by the historical past of Thailand: it is here that historical parks are located Ayutthaya, Lopburi, Sukhothai, Si Satchanalai and Kampaeng Pet. As well as the region of the central plains, one of the most interesting tourist provinces called Kanchanaburi - unique in its nature and participation in the events of not so long ago - World War II.
- Northeast (or Isan) Is a region on the border with Laos and Cambodia, which is considered the most visited region of Thailand. It is distinguished by the special mentality of the inhabitants of the Mekong River Valley and the fact that there are some of the Khmer temples, such as Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
- Extreme south - This is another region of Thailand, where tourists rarely look and where the Muslim population of the country is concentrated. It is also interesting for its sights, and there is also the curious historical city of Nakhon Si Tammarat and the largest lake Songkhla.
I will tell you in detail about all the regions of Thailand and their attractions. If you are just planning a vacation to Thailand or planning a car trip to this country, then it will be extremely useful for you to use this my guide to the sights of Thailand with the most comprehensive practical information and a large number of photos, tips and recommendations. It will help you navigate the whole variety of popular tourist places and choose the most interesting for yourself. At its end, you can also see a map of all the attractions discussed in this article.
All links in my brief description of Thailand's attractions are clickable. So if you want to study the sights you are interested in in more detail, then boldly click on the name with a link and read the corresponding detailed article with useful information that we have collected during our many trips to Thailand and its attractions.
The best attractions of Thailand - my top 5
To begin with, I will share with you my rating of the best attractions of Thailand:
1. Chiang Mai
This city has become almost like a native to me, despite the fact that it has no sea and beaches. After all, it was Chiang Mai that opened the real Thailand for me and made it possible to literally fall in love with this country. I really enjoyed walking on Chiang Mai, looking at all kinds of temples and noticing their differences. And although today Chiang Mai has become a rather large city with all the shortcomings and problems of megacities, it is still so cool that there are many different natural attractions near it, such as Thailand's highest mountain - Doi Intanon or the huge Chiang Dao Cave.
Many tourists begin their journey to Thailand with sightseeing in Bangkok.
The capital of Thailand, Bangkok, did not submit to me the first time. At first, I did not really like the city of Bangkok, because at first glance it seemed to me very noisy and large, even somewhat dirty (not like in Sri Lanka, of course, but still). But over time, I was imbued with the special atmosphere of Bangkok and really fell in love with the capital of Thailand. I especially like the central part of Bangkok in the sightseeing region of Rattanakosin and on the banks of the Chao Phraya River. I advise everyone to take a boat ride along the river and admire the skyscrapers and ancient temples on its banks.
Maya Bay Beach - one of the main attractions of Phi Phi in Thailand
3. Phi phi
The Phi Phi Islands are practically a paradise on Earth, what can be hidden here. The tropical islands in the Andaman Sea, inhabited by Phi Phi Don and several uninhabited islands nearby, with their stunning beaches, remind me of the beaches of the Maldives. But in order to relax on the white sand in a Thai paradise, you need to choose the right hotel in Phi Phi. It won't be cheap, but definitely worth it. Especially considering the fact that a lot of people come to Phi Phi every day for an excursion from Phuket and Krabi, it is important to know that on the secluded beaches of the best hotels in Phi Phi you can relax and have a good rest at the sea.
Kanchanaburi Province is a wild and beautiful nature reserve in western Thailand. The famous Erawan Falls and the equally beautiful scenic Sai Yok Falls are not the only attractions of Kanchanaburi. Here you can live in houses on the River Kwai, wander through the wild jungle or go to the very border with Myanmar, which is still closed to foreigners, but now everything is changing rapidly in Asia. I often dream of returning to Kanchanaburi province to ride a motorbike on the roads again among its beautiful landscapes and visit unusual temples.
In the city of Pai in the north of Thailand
The small city of Pai, which is located among the mountains in the north of Thailand, although it is in fifth place in my ranking, will in fact always be at the top of the list of interesting places above all the attractions. Pay - he is in the heart.Pai is the artistic capital of Thailand and the very place where gifted people come to, able to understand the harmony of nature and inclined to work in order to live among the green hills in the Pai River Valley. And the city of Pai, despite its small size, accommodates everyone. I advise you to visit Pai to everyone who likes to sit with a cup of tea on the veranda overlooking the mountains in the morning, or take leisurely walks without special goals, who like mi-mishi sculptures or are just interested in living in nature (as in Ella in Sri Lanka ) and watch creative people.
Wat Arun Temple - one of the main attractions of Bangkok
- Shining temples
- Canals and floating markets
- Luxury Shopping Centers
- Bustling nightlife
Bangkok Is a city of contrasts and many attractions: ancient colorful temples and fashion boutiques, shacks of the poor and skyscrapers with sky bars adjoin here.
Bangkok's main attraction is amazing Royal Palacewhere is stored Emerald buddha, the patron saint of the entire Thai nation. Other iconic sights are the temple of the morning dawn - Wat Arun and the temple of the reclining Buddha Wat Pho.
Recommendation: The best way to explore the city of Bangkok and its life is to take a boat ride along the main waterway - Chao Phraya River, as well as through the numerous channels of the Thai capital (they are called klongs), which immediately gives you an idea of why this city was called Eastern Venice.
Bangkok Markets are also an important attraction of this noisy Asian metropolis.
- All tourists are well aware of the famous Khaosan Road, shown in many films, and its night marketthat opens before sunset.
- It is impossible to imagine a visit to Bangkok without visiting the main Damnoen Saduak Floating Marketwhich is 60 km from the city.
- Also do not forget to take a trip to the huge Chatuchak Market, which is located in the northeast of Bangkok, and where you can buy almost everything.
Nightlife on Khaosan Road in Bangkok
Shopping in Bangkok It will be interesting to literally all people who came to the capital of Thailand:
- Most tourists are more interested in the modern look of Bangkok, so they choose large shopping centers with boutiques and shopping malls in the Siam area for shopping. So a trip to Bangkok can be a good reason to buy a new iPhone and update your other gadgets, or replenish your wardrobe with clothes of famous brands, like in Las Vegas.
- And in order to plunge into the atmosphere of old Bangkok, go shopping in the Rattanakosin district, where you can visit some of the most famous temples in Thailand, plunge into the nightlife of discos and bars, or visit the main street of backpackers - Kaosan road.
It is also worth a look at Bangkok from a bird's eye view. To do this, go to the observation deck of the highest hotel in Southeast Asia - Bayok sky. The tower of this hotel is an important attraction of Thailand.
Phuket Attractions in Thailand
- Beaches Patong, Karon and Kata
- Promtep Cape
- Phuket FantaSi
- Thai village
- Aquarium Marine Research Center
Phuket - This is the largest and most developed island resort in Thailand, as well as the most famous beach destination throughout Southeast Asia with its magnificent beaches, crystal clear sea water and endless nightlife.
Phuket Attractions - This is primarily its beautiful beaches, for the sake of relaxation on which thousands of tourists from all over the world go there. The main occupation of tourists in Phuket is enjoying the sea with warm and clear water and a wonderful beach holiday.
Phuket's best beaches - this is Patong, Karon and Kata. They are located on the west coast of the island.
- Patong Beach - This is the most famous, most depraved and noisy beach in Phuket. It is very long - as much as 3 km of the beach. Most tourists who buy inexpensive tours come to relax on Patong Beach.
- Karon Beach divided into two parts:
1) Karon - a long sandy beach with good hotels along the beach,
2) Karon Noi is a very small but quite picturesque beach.
- Kata Beach It is also geographically divided into two bays - Kata Yai and Kata Noi (large and small Kata). They are much smaller than Patong and Karon, but prettier. Kata beaches in Phuket are protected by stone capes and are more suitable for families with children. There are good hotels there.
Kata Noi Beach in Phuket
What else to do and what to see in Phuket?
- I advise you to meet sunset in Phuket on the southernmost cape of the island - Promtep Cape. The views from there are amazing, there will be many beautiful photos.
- The cultural traditions of Phuket should go to Thai village (Thai Village), which is located next to Phuket Town, an open-air museum where you can see the traditional way of life: Muay Thai (Thai boxing), classical dances and elephant shows.
Big Buddha in Phuket
Phuket Butterfly Garden and Insect World - This is a huge garden where butterflies and various insects live. It is very curious, but I did not dare, because I am afraid of insects, and I already visited a silk factory in the city of Siem Reap in Cambodia.
More in Phuket mono visit pearl factory and the forest of Khao Pra Theo, where is gibbon rehabilitation center. And the best evening shows in Phuket are held in Phuket FantaSea. Some tourists even compare them to the best Las Vegas shows. And don't forget about the Big Buddha!
Sights of Samui
- Samui beaches
- Big buddha
- Developed infrastructure
Koh Samui (Koh Samui) is the largest island in the Gulf of Thailand (after Koh Chang), which is located 700 km from Bangkok. This is one of the most developed seaside resorts in Thailand, with many interesting sights. On the island of Koh Samui, there are many different hotels to suit all tastes and budgets. And around the island of Samui there is a ring road connecting all its beaches and port.
Like any other beach resort in Thailand, the main sights of Samui are its beaches. And since beaches on Koh Samui quite a lot, and they are all very different in quality and location, I will describe them briefly:
- Chaweng - The most famous and party beach, which is located in the north-eastern part of Koh Samui. The coastline of Chaweng Beach is the longest on the island and is an impressive 5 km, which allowed to build a huge number of hotels along this beach (both expensive and cheaper). In the north of Chaweng there is a 1 km long lagoon, and this is the best place to relax with children and for beginner surfers. In my opinion, Chaweng Beach on Koh Samui with its sandy bays and huge granite cliffs is more like the famous beaches of Seychelles.
Lamai - Another long beach in the southeast of Samui. It is quieter than in Chaweng, and the beautiful landscapes are just as picturesque. The tourist infrastructure of Lamai Beach on Koh Samui is very well developed, there are numerous cafes and restaurants, shops, a market, travel agencies and tour agencies. A large selection of hotels and comfortable villas attract tourists to live here and have a good rest.
Koh Samui - one of the attractions of a beach holiday in Thailand
What to see on Samui:
- Muang Waterfalls and Hin lat. They can be found in the center of Koh Samui (entry from the west coast).
- Big Buddha is a 12-meter statue of the Sitting Buddha, which is located on the territory of the temple of Wat Phra Yai in the north of Koh Samui ..
- Stones "Grandmother and grandfather"(Hin Ta and Hin Yai) - these are rocks that depict genital organs and are an interesting attraction and a place of pilgrimage for both locals and tourists.
- Wat Play Laem Temple It is famous for a beautiful Buddha statue, and most importantly - a lake in the middle of the temple. Reflections of temple buildings, palm trees and white sand create a tropical and exotic atmosphere.
- Samui Aquarium and Zoo. Here you can watch exotic tropical animals and fish, as well as visit the performance of marine animals and see trained tigers.
- The Secret Garden of Buddha - This is a rock garden among tropical greenery and waterfalls.
- Observation deck Lad Ko It offers panoramic sea views. It is located on Chaweng Beach.
- Mummified Monk sitting on a hill next to the highway from Nathon to Lamai.
Aquarium on Koh Samui
Big Buddha on Samui
- Phi Phi Islands
- Beaches Railay
- Emerald lake
- Pranang Beach
Krabi - a province in southern Thailand on the coast of the Andaman Sea, which is famous for its tropical islands, picturesque cliffs in the sea and pristine rain forests. In my opinion, Krabi is an ideal place for a beach holiday in Thailand. Unlike Samui and Phuket, Krabi is not an island, but the mainland of Thailand, located along its western coast. However, the province includes many beautiful islands. For example, the islands of Phi Phi, which can be called one of the best attractions of all of Thailand. Actually, my top 5 islands of Phi Phi are also included.
Immediately list the main attractions of Krabi:
- Phi Phi Islands - These are the most beautiful islands that have glorified Thailand as one of the best beach resorts in the world. Among them are the inhabited island of Phi Phi Don with many good hotels and uninhabited islands: Phi Phi Le, where the world famous Maya Bay is located (it was here that the film "Beach" was shot with Leonardo di Caprio), Bambu, Mosquito and others. To come to Phi Phi with a guided tour or to get on your own from Phuket or Krabi is a must for anyone who has a rest in Thailand at sea.
- Ao Nang Beach - the most rave beach with developed infrastructure and ideal conditions for climbing, but not the best beach. However, if you settle in a good Ao Nang hotel with a swimming pool, you can even go to the neighboring islands at least every day for a beach holiday or visit the attractions of Krabi on the mainland.
- Railay- This is a peninsula near Ao Nang with the best beaches in Krabi, on which I have had a rest, located on the mainland of Thailand. And although hotels on Railay are generally more expensive, but the beaches here are much cleaner and more beautiful.
Beautiful cliffs in the sea - attractions of Krabi in Thailand
We were very pleased with the sights of Krabi in Thailand.
Personally, I advise you to visit the sights of Krabi due to the diversity of the local landscape and the proximity of other interesting provinces, where you can go on an excursion or on your own. This is Phang Nga Bay with its caves, cliffs and unusual landscapes (James Bond Island is located here). And Phuket is not far.
Helpful advice: To have time to see as much as possible, the ideal option would be to first settle on Ao Nang or find a good hotel on Railay for a few days to travel to all the main attractions of Krabi, and then leave for a secluded hotel in Phi Phi for the best beach vacation.
- Depraved and modern Pattaya
- Youth vacation
- White beaches of Koh Samet
- Diving at Koh Chang
Pattaya First of all, it is famous for its endless nightlife, which, perhaps, is its main attraction. There are probably more bars in Pattaya than in any other city in Thailand.
Nevertheless, Pattaya is also an excellent beach destination for both family vacationers and budget tourists. Indeed, on the beaches of Pattaya you can not only sunbathe, but also engage in various sports, visit the darkness of various restaurants and try the most unimaginable entertainment. Choose for this Jomtien Beach, a beach as long as 14 km, which is located in the south of Pattaya.
And to diversify a beach holiday in Thailand, the islands of Koh Samet or Koh Chang, located quite far from Pattaya, are perfect.
Jomtien Beach in Pattaya
Here's what to see on a vacation in Pattaya:
- Wooden Temple - Sanctuary of Truth - Wang Boran,
- Sri Rancha Tiger Zoo,
- Nong Nooch Tropical Botanical Garden
- For snorkeling you can go to the island of Ko Phai,
- Children should definitely go to Cartoon Network Amazone Waterpark,
- Mini Siam (Mini Siam) - a park with miniature sights of Thailand and the whole world,
- Underwater World Pattaya Aquarium, where you can get acquainted with the underwater world of Thailand on land.
Sights of Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand
- Ancient Chiang Mai and its temples
- The beautiful temple fortress Wat Pratat Lampang Luang
- Hill tribes and women with rings on their neck
- Doi Inthanon - Thailand's highest mountain
- Pai - the artistic capital of Thailand
- Golden triangle on the border of three countries: Thailand, Myanmar, Laos
- Chiang Rai and the White Temple of Heaven and Hell
- Chiang Saen - the oldest city on the banks of the Mekong River
- Frescoes of Wat Phumin Temple in Nan
- Nature of the North of Thailand
Town Chiang mai built in the form of a square mandala (like Mandalay in Myanmar) and is the heart of northern Thailand, with many interesting sights .. When you visit this city, it is most reasonable to walk along its picturesque streets, pay attention to the works of local craftsmen of wooden architecture and visit an incredible number temples of chiang mai. Do not miss the sacred temple on the mountain Wat Pratat Doi Sutheplocated 15 km from the city center.
From Chiang Mai begins several tourist routes to the sights of northern Thailand:
Wat Pratat Doi Suthep Temple is a popular attraction in northern Thailand near Chiang Mai
I recommend to see the attractions in the north of Thailand:
- The most famous temple of the north of Thailand is a fortress monastery Wat Pratat Lampang Luang, located near the city Lampang. Some of its buildings date from the beginning of the 15th century.
- Northern Thailand is also famous. hill tribes, whose villages you can visit and see how the small peoples of Thailand live in isolation, get acquainted with their cultural traditions. The most famous are women with rings on their neck. They are called Karen, although more correct than kai. The best place to go to the tribes is the province Mae Hong Song. For example, we went to the village to fox and to kaya.
Kai women (usually called Karen) are known for long necks with rings
Wachiratan Waterfall is one of the main attractions in Doi Inthanon National Park in northern Thailand
White Temple in Thailand
The city of Chiang Rai is the gateway to the Golden Triangle, formerly the opium center, and now the site of beautiful botanical gardens and tea plantations. IN Mae Salong you can see with your own eyes how tea plantations grow, and also buy yourself delicious Thai tea. In the village of Sop Ruak, you can visit a significant place where three countries meet - Thailand, Laos and Myanmar. Now when they say Golden Triangle, mean exactly this place. And next to Chiang Rai there is a modern and fantastic White temple.
Landmarks of the Central Plains of Thailand
- Ayutthaya city ruins
- Lopburi Monkey City
- Seven-cascade waterfall Erawan
- Kanchanaburi Death Road
- Ancient temples of the city of Sukhothai
The main attraction of the Central Plains of Thailand is of course the historic city Ayutthayawhich has been the capital of Thailand for 400 years. Located not so far from Bangkok, Ayutthaya is located on an island surrounded by rivers. Personally, I was particularly impressed by the temples of Wat Phra Si Sanpet and, of course, the majestic Wat Phra Mahatat. It is in Ayutthaya that one can see the head of the Buddha among the roots of a large tree, which is so often published among photos of Thailand's attractions.
Ayutthaya Ancient Temples - A Very Popular Landmark of Thailand
Just north of Ayutthaya is another noteworthy historical city - Lopburi. In addition to the royal palaces (King Naray’s Palace, for example) and ancient ruins, they gained fame as “Cities of the Apes”. The fact is that hundreds of wild monkeys really roam the city, and most of them are concentrated precisely at historical monuments. So hurry up to make cool photos with monkeys at the ruins. But beware: after all, the monkeys in Lopburi are very spoiled and behave extremely arrogantly. And they are protected by law as a local attraction.
Near Bangkok, in the city of Nakhon Pathom there is a giant Chedi Phra Patom - the largest stupa of Thailand. Only the destroyed Mingun Pagoda in Myanmar can be compared with its scale.
To the northwest of Bangkok among the mountains lies Kanchanaburi Province, among the endless forests of which lurk seven cascades Erawan Falls with turquoise water and death railway, built during the Second World War under the leadership of the Japanese captive people from different countries (including from Australia). Everything is simple with the Erawan waterfall: you can come to the entrance to the national park and make trekking to its top. I liked it there so much that I went to Erawan twice already. But the railway can be watched in its different sections - on bridge over the river Kwai or next to Hellfire Pass Museum, which tells about the hard labor of captive Thais and Burmese.
In Erawan National Park, the main attraction is the 7-cascade waterfall (pictured)
Sukhothai Historical Park - Another Important Landmark in Thailand
In the northern part of the Central Plains is another capital of the Thai state, the predecessor of Ayutthaya - Sukhothai and its satellite cities - Sea Satchanalai and Kampaeng Pet. These are completely restored cities with more than 40 temples, which I studied with pleasure, because Thai art of the XIII-XIV centuries was full of expression. Those who like to climb the ruins of ancient sights should definitely like it here!
Si Satchanalai Historical Park
I advise the most curious travelers to go to the mountains hidden behind the mountains near the Burmese border of the city Mae Sot with its unique charm and Umpang - unofficial capital of trekking in Thailand. Here is located one of the highest and most beautiful waterfalls in Thailand - Ti Lo Su. The scenic road leading to Uprang ends in this city, you can only go further on foot (as in Kings Canyon in the USA)
Sights of the northeast of Thailand (Isan)
- Khmer Temples Pimai and Phnom Rung
- Festivals of Elephants in Surin and rockets in Yasoton
- Plateau Pu Cradung
- Lei Province
- Temple Wat Pratat Pan
- Tour along the Mekong
Lost temples of Angkor - this is what Khmer temples are called in Thailand - Pimay and Phnom Rung. More recently lying in ruins (like Beng Melea in Cambodia), today they are carefully restored and represent the heyday of the Khmer Empire in its greatest greatness.
Isan is rich in various festivals. One of them - "Elephant picking". In the third week of November, local Suai tribes show off their elephant management skills. Animals participate in historical skits that depict the role of elephants in the life and history of Thailand. And in the second week of May in Yasoton passes Rocket festival (Ban Ban Fai). Residents of Isan shoot at home with fireworks from rocket launchers in the hope of causing rain. This celebration takes place just at the end of the hot period.
Phhimai Historical Park in eastern Thailand is similar to Khmer attractions
And among the many attractions in the north-east of Thailand there are a large number of national parks. The most spectacular of them is considered Pu Cradung - this is a very beautiful plateau with picturesque waterfalls in Ley Province. This is one of the most beautiful provinces in Thailand, rich in various natural attractions. In addition, it is one of the most frosty places in the country, which is associated with a certain elevation of the region relative to sea level. The record for the coldest temperature in Thailand is recorded in Pu Ria Park.
Khmer Temple of Phnom Rung Historical Park
Among the attractions of Thailand in the Mekong Valley, it is worth highlighting the most iconic Wat Phra Tat Pan Temple in the city of Nakhon Panom. A slender, Laotian-style stupa stands on the banks of the Mekong River and looks at neighboring Laos and the city of Thakhek.
In order to better feel the similarities of the East Thais with the Laotians and understand their differences from other residents of Thailand, I advise you to go to tour along the Mekong. The large river, which serves as the border between the two states, unites people. Having traveled by car or buses to various attractions, you can meet a beautiful sunset and spend the night in the town of Chiang Khan, as we did.
Tour along the Mekong. We did not ride, of course, great, although it would be a cool route!
Sights of Thailand in the far south
- Wat Pratat Mahatat Temple in Nakhon Si Tammata
- The historic city of Songkhla and the largest lake
- Islands near Trang
- Deserted beaches of Tarutao Park
Temple Wat Pratat Mahatat in the ancient city of Nakhon Si Tammarat - this is one of the most important and holy temples in the country. It is believed that this attraction of Thailand is more than 1500 years old. Cultural syncretism is not difficult to notice in the design of the temple: the oldest chedi is made in the Sri Lankan style, and the builders from Sukhothai influenced the shape of the Vihana Luang.
Another ancient trading city Songkhla, now it is a quiet beautiful town on the largest lake in the country, Tale Sap with the sandy beach of Ham Samilla. A great option to escape from the crowds of tourists. But it is worth remembering that Muslim Thais live in southern Thailand, so local customs must be respected (as in the Maldives).
Panorama of Songkhla in southern Thailand
And if you want a typical vacation in Thailand by the sea, but without huge crowds of tourists, then you should think about islands near Trang - these are the islands of Koh Muk, Koh Kradan and others. Further south, almost on the border with Malaysia, is Turatao National Marine Park, with the best Thai beaches and the best diving. Hotels are on Koh Lipe and Koh Adang, and other islands can be visited only during the day.
What else to see in Thailand
In our articles on our website Paikea.Ru, we talk in some detail about the various attractions of Thailand that we personally visited during numerous trips around this country. In them we share useful tips and advice that will be useful to independent travelers when planning their route or to those tourists who want to book an excursion or buy a ready-made tour.
Since tourism in Thailand is currently at its peak (as in Hong Kong), showing steady growth year-on-year in terms of the number of people coming on vacation (mainly due to Chinese tourists), the country’s tourism infrastructure is constantly improving, thousands of smiles are being built, new roads are being built and Hotels And if earlier it was rather difficult to get to some of Thailand's sights, now it has become much easier.
Therefore, before traveling to Thailand, it will not be out of place to find out on our website the most up-to-date information about the places you want to visit in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Krabi, Samui, Kanchanaburi, Chiang Mai or other interesting sights, as well as where it is better to choose a hotel in Thailand to make it convenient to watch them yourself. You can also ask your question about all the attractions of Thailand in the comments on this article, and we will answer you as far as possible.
Sights of Thailand on the map
Symbols on the map:
- Blue Markers - Bangkok Attractions
- Blue - Phuket Attractions
- Turquoise - attractions of Krabi and the surrounding area
- Orange - Samui Attractions
- Yellow - Pattaya Attractions
- Greens - attractions of Chiang Mai and northern Thailand
- Purple - Attractions of the Central Plains of Thailand
- Pink - sights of Isan (east of Thailand)
- Reds - Attractions in the Extreme South of Thailand
This concludes my review of the sights of Thailand. Have a good rest and pleasant experience, dear readers!