In this house, owned by the captain, a nobleman Vasily Chilaev, in 1841 the last two months of his life - from May 14 (26) to July 15 (27), 1841 - the great Russian poet Mikhail Yurievich Lermontov lived. Here he wrote his last poems, from here he sent his last letter, known to us, addressed to his grandmother. His bloodied body was brought here from a duel, and from here on July 17 (29), 1841 he was escorted on the last journey.
The first mention of the house appeared in the Russian press in 1859. And on August 5, 1884, a small plaque appeared on the facade at the entrance with the inscription: “The house in which the poet M. Yu. Lermontov lived”. She appeared on the initiative of the famous Russian playwright A.N. Ostrovsky. In 1908, the press raised the question of buying a home. As a result, thanks to the intervention of the Academy of Sciences in this matter, the Pyatigorsk City Council issued a resolution on the acquisition of a house. In 1912, the Caucasian Mountain Society bought a house for 15 thousand rubles and set up a museum.
On June 7, 1973, the Lermontov’s House Museum was transformed into the State Museum-Reserve of M. Yu. Lermontov, the center of which was the memorial Lermontov quarter, located in the historical part of the city.
In February 1979, in the restored estate of Umanov, a new exhibition "Lermontov in Fine Arts" was opened. At the same time, the restoration of the former house of V.I. Chilyaev (Chiladze), where the scientific library was located, was completed. The museum received the Prize of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation in the field of culture and art for 2018 for cultural and educational projects in the field of library, museum, folk, literary creation, theater, music, and visual arts.
The museum has the status of a historical monument of federal significance.
Flower Garden edit
Sights of Pyatigorsk
It was from Pyatigorsk that the Caucasian Mineral Waters began to flourish as a resort area - in the 1860s, after the discovery of dozens of thermal springs, the first balneological society appeared here. The city is even called a mineral museum because of the wide variety of healing waters and the undeniable value of this area for health.
Pyatigorsk will appeal to lovers of nature, picturesque landscape parks and southern provincial architecture. During a walk through the old quarters, it seems that nothing has changed here since the 19th century: a noble public is still strolling along the boulevards, social evenings are held in the salons, and Mikhail Yuryevich pensively looks at the Elizabethan Gallery, thinking over the plot for his next masterpiece.
What to see and where to go in Pyatigorsk?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a brief description.
1. Sculpture of an eagle
So the tradition has developed that in every city of the CMS there is its own eagle - a symbol of the region. Pyatigorsk, where the bird sculpture is located on the top of the Hot Mountain, was no exception. This is all the same “king of the Caucasus Mountains,” in whose paws a dying snake coils. The first Eagle appeared in 1901, but in the XX century it was destroyed twice - either seeing a symbol of imperial power in the shape of a bird, then seeing the emblem of the Third Reich. The last statue was put up the mountain in 1975.
2. Lake Failure
A cave in the form of a funnel on the slope of Mashuk, at the bottom of which there is an underground lake of karst origin, filled with mineral water. Its waters have a pure blue color, which is largely due to the special chemical composition. In the XIX century the cave was consecrated and an icon was hung on one of its walls. The entrance to the tunnel leading to the failure is guarded by sculptures of lions, there is also a monument to Ostap Bender.
3. Arbor "Aeolian harp"
The gazebo with a romantic name is located on Mount Mashuk. It is made in the form of a classic rotunda with a roof in the form of a dome. The place for its installation was not chosen by chance - it offers panoramic views of the surroundings. The construction is located on the edge of the cliff, a paved path leads to it. The Aeolian Harp became famous for the fact that M. Yu. Lermontov was here several times. The writer mentioned the building in his work “Princess Mary”.
4. "Chinese arbor"
The gazebo is located in the Hot Mountain Park. It is made in a bizarre oriental style, which is why it is called “Chinese”: the outlines of the curved roof resemble a Buddhist pagoda, the forged ornaments located at the edges resemble traditional Celestial lanterns. The construction was built in 1976 on the site of the "Color Arbor", destroyed after the Revolution.
5. Monument to Lermontov
The fate of M. Yu. Lermontov was inextricably linked with Pyatigorsk - he was here several times, lived during exile and received his death from the bullet of N. S. Martynov. The main city attractions are Lermontov places. Among them stands out a monument to the writer, erected in 1889. The monument is a sculpture of Mikhail Yurievich, sitting in thought on a rock-shaped pedestal.
6. The place of the duel Lermontov
Glade on one of the slopes of Mashuk, where in 1841 M. Yu. Lermontov died in a duel. The obelisk and the fence marking the landmark were established at the beginning of the 20th century. The pyramidal pylon is made of the local dolomite mineral; in its center is a bronze bust of the writer. On the edges of the stone fence there are sculptures of vultures. The obelisk is part of the M. Yu. Lermontov Museum-Reserve.
7. Spassky Cathedral
The first temple on the site of the modern Spassky Cathedral was erected in the 19th century. The initiator of its construction was Nicholas I. In the 1930s, the building was demolished, and a cafe was built on the wasteland, a little later they organized a city square. In the 1990s, the authorities of Pyatigorsk decided to rebuild the temple. After a long 20-year construction, the new cathedral was solemnly consecrated by Patriarch Cyril.
8. Lermontov Gallery
An unusual design of colored glass and steel, brought to Pyatigorsk from the Nizhny Novgorod exhibition at the end of the 19th century. The construction is a pavilion, in the guise of which the Gothic style and the Art Nouveau style are mixed. It looks very light and airy, reminiscent of a fabulous palace from afar. Today, inside the gallery is a concert and exhibition complex.
9. Academic Gallery
The gallery was arranged over a drinking narzan spring on the orders of Prince M.S. Vorontsov. The project was worked by the famous architect of the time S.I. Upton, who created a building resembling an Italian palazzo of the Renaissance. The gallery was named in honor of the Empress Elizabeth, in Soviet times it was renamed the Academic. In the 1930s, a staircase and an observation deck were added to the complex.
10. Stavropol Operetta Theater
The opera stage was founded in 1939, it was located in a building from the beginning of the 20th century, designed by A. I. Kuznetsov. This building was known as the People’s House, it was here that the establishment of Soviet power in the city was announced. During the Second World War, the building was set on fire by German soldiers, but was later restored. Until 1997, the scene was called the Pyatigorsk Theater of Musical Comedy.
11. Pyatigorsk Museum of Local Lore
The museum was founded in 1903, it is the oldest exhibition complex on the CMS. The collection is located in the building of the former Mikhailov Hotel - the first Pyatigorsk sanatorium. Over the long history of its existence, the museum has accumulated more than 130 thousand exhibits: rare books, documents, photographs, objects of decorative art, ethnographic and archaeological artifacts.
12. Museum-reserve of M. Yu. Lermontov
The most important of Lermontov’s places is the building of the first half of the 19th century, located in the old city quarter. In this house, the writer spent the last years of his life and created some of the most outstanding works. The museum was founded in 1912. Today, in addition to the estate, it includes several more branches. Among them is the “Lermontov’s house”, where Mikhail Yuryevich’s personal belongings are exhibited and the original atmosphere is preserved.
13. The house-museum of A. A. Alyabyev
The object is part of the M. Yu. Lermontov Museum-Reserve. It is located in one of the historic quarters of Pyatigorsk. The building is an example of urban construction of the first half of the XIX century - a wooden second floor on a stone basement. Before nationalization in 1920, it changed several owners. The museum department was located on the territory in the 1980s. The exposition is dedicated to the composer A. A. Alyabyev.
14. Diana's Grotto
An artificial cave on the slope of the Hot Mountain, created in the 1930s. The grotto was built as a monument in honor of the first ascent of Elbrus, which occurred in 1829. The construction was designed by the Bernadazzi brothers. Given the history of the attraction, it is strange that it was named after the goddess Diana, however, the will of the expedition leader General G. A. Emmanuel was the will of it.
15. Grotto of Lermontov
Unlike the Diana Grotto, the Lermontov Grotto is a natural cave, slightly ennobled for ease of visiting. It was discovered during the creation of the Emanuele Park. Initially, the place was named after the beautiful nymph Calypso. M. Yu. Lermontov often liked to be here - he could stand for a long time near the cave, admiring the views and watching people strolling at the Elizabethan Gallery.
16. Fountain "Tale"
The sculptural composition of the fountain decorates Cathedral Square. It is a fabulous mountain with grottoes, from where the owners of the underground subsurface - gnomes are shown. Jets of water beat around, enveloping the stone sculptures with a mystical haze and giving the picture a completely unreal look. The name of the fountain was chosen very well, it seems as if it is a portal to another dimension: into the world of magic, wizardry, countless treasures and amazing creatures.
17. Park "Flower Garden"
The park is located on the slopes of the Mashuk and Goryachaya mountains, the Bernadazzi brothers worked on its improvement in the 19th century. On its territory are the most famous architectural attractions of Pyatigorsk and mineral springs. Here you can stroll along the cobbled paths among the picturesque flower beds, admire the surroundings from the observation deck, relax on benches and gazebos, visit the grottoes and pavilions.
A cable car leads to the top of Mashuk. Perhaps this is one of the most classic routes of the city, which tourists choose to get acquainted with the surroundings. The route is about 1 km. The road was built in the 1970s, since then the wagons regularly carry passengers. During the movement, a panorama of the city unfolds before one’s eyes and a magnificent view of the mountain range surrounding Pyatigorsk.
19. Pyatigorsk necropolis
The oldest cemetery in the North Caucasus, where the military, doctors, artists and statesmen were buried. It was founded in 1824. The necropolis is interesting for its tombstones and monuments, many of which can be considered as valuable architectural objects. After the death of M. Yu. Lermontov, he was buried here, but then the body was transported to the writer's estate in the Penza province.
20. Mount Mashuk
Natural monument in the city limits of Pyatigorsk. In the bowels of the mountain flow mineral springs, tourist sites are located on its slopes, and from the top a view of the ridges of the Caucasus Mountains and Elbrus opens. It is believed that all routes will certainly lead to Mashuk - the mountain is simply impossible to pass by visiting local attractions. You can go upstairs on one of the many trails or on the cable car.
- Address: near Flower Garden. Stop transport "Flower Garden".
The most recognizable symbol of Pyatigorsk created by human hands is considered a bronze sculpture of an eagle located on a rocky ledge of Mount Goryachaya. The first version of the monument L. Shodkiy made of concrete in 1901. Under the influence of winds and atmospheric moisture, the statue was constantly destroyed. Therefore, in 1973, it was decided to cast an exact copy of it from metal. The sculptural composition depicts an eagle in battle with a large snake. According to legend, a proud bird was once stung by an asp, but was safely healed by drinking water from a mineral spring that beats at the foot of the mountain. It is believed that if you make a wish and rub the beak of a bronze eagle, it will come true.
- Address: Mount Mashuk. Stop transport "Failure".
Arriving in Pyatigorsk, you just can not help but see the famous Lake Failure, located in a cone-shaped karst cave on the slope of Mount Mashuk. Before you get here, you will see a monument to the popular literary character - the elegant adventurer Ostap Bender, who knew 400 ways to “honestly” take money from citizens, one of which was the sale of non-existent tickets for sightseeing. Surrounded by gray rock, the bright turquoise lake looks amazing. Once its waters were used for medicinal purposes, but now it is a place of pilgrimage for city guests.
The obelisk on the site of the duel M.Yu. Lermontov
- Address: Transport stop “Place of the duel M.Yu. Lermontov ".
The last years of the life of the great poet M.Yu. are connected with Pyatigorsk. Lermontov, who managed in a very short life to leave the brightest mark in Russian literature. A permanent monument on the northwestern slope of Mashuk was erected in 1915. in the alleged location of the last duel of Mikhail Yuryevich. Here, on the morning of July 15, 1841, a bullet from N. Martynov’s pistol cut short the life of a brilliant poet and brilliant officer. A dolomite obelisk of a classical form rises on a rectangular pedestal with a round niche in which a small bronze bust of Lermontov is placed. The square platform is framed by columns with massive chains. At its corners are sitting stone griffins.
- Address: Kirova Avenue, 3. Bus stop "Flower Garden".
A complex of spa buildings, since 1924 bearing the name of the great poet A.S. Pushkin, built around a mineral spring found on a land plot belonging to General Sabaneyev, received the first vacationers in 1901. In two buildings built of yellow brick and white stone, there were 88 rooms for various purposes. Their interiors were decorated with aerial arches, half-columns tiled tiles. The exterior of the buildings is striking with a unique blend of architectural styles. The facades of buildings decorated with magnificent stucco molding attract with grace of turrets, originality of ornaments, an abundance of stucco decorations.
- Address: st. Lermontov, 15. Stop the transport "Upper radon baths."
In Pyatigorsk, as well as in Barnaul, there is a house covered with urban legends. The mansion in the castle style with bay windows towered with conical roofs with spiers was presented at the beginning of the last century to his wife Elsa by the flourishing confectioner Gukasov. After some time, he left his wife, who was very upset by the divorce. With the advent of Soviet power, the mansion was confiscated and converted into a resort "Red Star". Over time, vacationers began to hear female crying, moans, steps at night, complaining about the feeling that someone was watching them. It even came to several suicides. It is said that the spirit of Elsa, absolutely safe for women, similarly avenged unfaithful husbands. Now the building in need of reconstruction is in disrepair.
Titz Brothers Mansion
- Address: 8. Garanina Boulevard. Stop of the transport “Upper Radon Hospital”.
The stone building, which now houses the sanatorium belonging to the Ministry of Defense, is considered one of the most beautiful in Pyatigorsk.The mansion, attracting attention with its unusual architecture, was built over 100 years ago for the prosperous city merchants of the Titz brothers. Architect E. Khadzhaev, who designed the structure, as if decided to laugh at the laws of symmetry. At first glance it seems that the bay windows, mezzanines and loggias are placed randomly, but in general the composition looks elegant and finished. The exterior of the mansion has everything from elegant attics to domes crowned with spiers.
Gukasova Coffee Shop
- Address: The intersection of Kirov Avenue and st. The Bernardazzi brothers. Stop transport "Flower Garden".
A magnificent building near the Tsvetnik park, amazes and delights in the sophistication of architecture. The magnificent mansion, erected in 1909 by order of the wealthy confectioner Gukasov, attracts with the smooth lines of the exterior, characteristic of pre-revolutionary Russian modernism. It is surrounded by a perimeter terrace with an elegant parapet. On the front side, the facade is decorated with two eclectic rotunda towers. Today, the first floor of the building is occupied by a private art gallery, the second is an aristocratic cafe, which is very popular among citizens and visitors.
Monument M.Yu. Lermontov
- Address: Lermontovsky Square. Stop transport "Flower Garden".
In Pyatigorsk, the life of M.Yu. Lermontov, therefore, it is not surprising that the first monument to him was erected here. The members of the specially created committee had a difficult task - to choose the best option out of 120 submitted projects. The victory in the competition was won by the sketch of the bronze monument, presented by the sculptor A. Opekushin. In August 1889, the monument was inaugurated. The great poet is depicted with inspiration, looking towards the magnificent Elbrus. At his feet lies a feather and an open book, as well as a lyre and a laurel wreath - symbols of the genius of Mikhail Yuryevich.
Fountain fairy tale
- Address: Square them. L.N. Tolstoy. Stop transport "Children's World".
Against the backdrop of a wonderful fountain, tourists who come to rest in the city adore taking pictures. Although the hydraulic structure appeared here at the beginning of the last century, it got its present form later. One powerful geyser was replaced by several nozzles of a smaller diameter. In the center of a large radial bowl, a grotto of stunning beauty was erected, decorated with bas-reliefs of fairy-tale gnomes. After multi-colored spotlights were installed around the fountain, it began to look simply fantastic.
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: +7 879 333-33-40.
- Website: http://www.spasskiy-sobor.ru
- Address: st. Cathedral, 1A. Bus stop "Dzerzhinsky Street".
The history of the wonderful cathedral, very reminiscent of the architecture of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, is very eventful. Suffice it to say that it was built almost twice. On the walls of the first version of the building, cracks went already at the time of the construction of the domes. The structure had to be demolished and the foundation strengthened. As a result, the temple, founded in 1845, was consecrated only after 22 years. In the year of the persecution of religion, a granary was first built in the church, and then it was completely blown up. The construction of a new temple, exactly recreated from the surviving drawings and photographs, was completed in 2013.
Monument A.P. Ermolov
- Address: st. Lermontov. Stop transport "Tarkhany."
With the name of the remarkable Russian military commander - the conqueror and pacifier of the Caucasus General Yermolov, a lot is connected in Pyatigorsk. The brilliant officer, the hero of the Patriotic War of 1812, did a lot for the development and prosperity of the city. At the beginning of this century, the authorities decided to perpetuate the memory of Alexei Petrovich. In autumn 2010, in the presence of a delegation from the Kuban Cossack army, a monument to the general was inaugurated. The three-ton sculpture, cast in bronze, depicts Ermolov sitting on a horse in a military uniform.
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: from 30 p. up to 100 p.
- Phone: +7 879 333‑71-75.
- Address: Prospect Kirova, 21. Stop transport "Flower Garden".
In 1828, an elegant modern pump room was built near the source of mineral water in the center of Pyatigorsk. After 20 years, a new building was erected on the stone foundation of a dilapidated structure, but now in a fashionable Moorish style. Over time, and this wooden building fell into disrepair. The gallery acquired a new life in 1925, when the architectural masterpiece was already reproduced in stone. The reconstruction in great detail repeats the layout and decor of the original. At the end of the last century, the building was transformed into an art exhibition. Now in its halls the works of contemporary painters are demonstrated.
Museum of Local Lore
- Schedule: daily, except Monday, from 9:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 100 p., Student and children 50 p.
- Phone: + 7879 333-08-51.
- Website: http://www.museumpsk.wmsite.ru
- Address: st. Brothers Bernardation, 2. Stop transport "Flower Garden".
Established in 1905, the museum, considered one of the oldest in the North Caucasus, has an extensive collection of more than 126 thousand exhibits. Especially valuable are the collections of old coins, cold steel and firearms. A significant part of the exposition is dedicated to the history, culture and ethnography of the peoples inhabiting the south of the Stavropol Territory since ancient times. A separate exhibition tells about the city of Pyatigorsk from its inception to the present day. During a tour of the museum you will see many artifacts and rarities.
Pyatigorsk is one of the few resort places where a wellness vacation is perfectly combined with an educational one. Be sure to visit here at least once to see first-hand the whole splendor of an amazing city.
1. Hot Mountain
Not only a popular holiday destination, known since the 18th century, but also the “educator” of the resort city. The mountain is created by mineral hot springs. Iron, slate, limestone (sedimentary rocks) fell out of hydrogen sulfide water, flowing into the Podkumsky valley, and formed the Hot Mountain. People who appreciated the healing power of the springs created pools at the top. This in itself is a rare occurrence, since there are few such mountains on Earth. Now, in the city, on the spur of Mount Mashuk, there are baths created by nature and people.
In addition to hot healing springs and baths, the attraction of Pyatigorsk is interesting for its many karst caves, a Chinese arbor, a stone arbor "Eolova Harp", a sculpture of an eagle.
2. Grotto of Lermontov
Near the Mikhailovsky and Elizavetinsky sources (eastern part of Pyatigorsk) in 1829 the Emanuelevsky park was built. The architects (Bernardazzi brothers) created one grotto (small) and improved the existing natural (large). Big discovered by chance when creating an "English" park. The depth of the grotto was increased, inside they arranged a place for sitting, and outside they arranged a viewing platform and a track. It offers a wonderful view of the surroundings.
Over time, the grotto began to be called the name of the great writer, because it was believed that he often visited this place. In 1870, a marble plaque with poems about the poet was installed on the memorial site, and then a bust. Later, it was necessary to install a grate at the entrance, as visitors scribbled everything in obscene words.
3. Diana's Grotto
Another popular attraction of Pyatigorsk is a work of art made by the hands of the Bernardazzi brothers. A beautiful, unique, picturesque cave, created in honor of the first man’s ascent to Elbrus. The idea of creating a mountain-like grotto came up with General Emmanuel (head of the expeditionary group). The construction was intended to remind future generations of the 1929 expedition.
The cave is located in the depths of the Hot Mountain and is decorated with columns. Three entrances were created in the grotto, columns were cut out and signs were placed on the first ascent of Elbrus (in Russian and Arabic).
Diana's Grotto, like many Pyatigorsk attractions, is associated with the life and work of M.Yu. Lermontov. The cave with an arched entrance, columns, surrounded by flowers and bushes of acacia, roses, arranged on top of the balcony, was one of the writer's favorite places. He often visited the grotto, and a week before the death of Lermontov and his friends arranged a "village ball" in front of the entrance.
4. Arbor "Aeolian harp"
Another unique place to visit in Pyatigorsk is a musical gazebo. The location for its placement was selected accurately. The building is located on top of the Mikhailovsky spur of Mount Mashuk, so it offers a wonderful view of the resort, its surroundings and, of course, Elbrus.
According to the author of the project (Giuseppe Bernardazzi), the gazebo is similar to the “Temple of Aeolus” in the Kew Park of the outskirts of London. A unique thing was placed inside the building - a street harp. The musical instrument consisted of several aeolian harps. The mechanism was placed in a special wooden case, the wing of which turned the structure to the wind. Streams of air set in motion the vein strings of the harp, and the unique natural music of the wind poured from the gazebo at any time of the year. The design worked until 1861.
Later, a simplified aeolian harp was installed on the dome of the gazebo, and then an electronic one. Since 2008, equipment has been installed in a musical gazebo. Now, delightful music accompanies walks and relaxation of visitors, even if there is no wind.
5. The place of the duel Lermontov
On July 15, 1841, a duel took place near the modern Lermontovskaya station, which interrupted the life of a Russian writer. At the venue of the match between M.Yu. Lermontov and N.S. Martynov temporarily installed various commemorative signs. By the centenary of the writer's birthday, an obelisk of B.M. Mikeshin, however, the sculptor did not arrive at the opening of the work, as they took the project of other masters for the fence.
Today, on the road to Inozemtsevo, there is a pyramidal obelisk, in the center of which there is a bronze bust of the writer. The attraction is listed as a cultural heritage site at the federal level.
6. Lake Failure
Mount Mashuk has another highlight - a karst lake with turquoise-blue water (temperature ranges from 25 to 42 degrees, depending on the time of year). It is located at the bottom of one of the caves of the mountainside. The failure owes its appearance to the waters that eroded the limestone - the foundation of Mount Mashuk. The consequence of this was the appearance of a cave with two lakes, the coating of which collapsed over time, forming a funnel.
The failure has been known for a long time, however, only in 1837 with the advent of the bridge over the well, everyone was able to admire the turquoise blue lakes. Over time, a tunnel was made for easy access to the failure.
Today, Lake Failure is an ennobled area with viewing platforms and lighting, as well as security equipment. The cave is inhabited by bats and pigeons.
Like many attractions of Pyatigorsk, Failure is associated with the work of M.Yu. Lermontov, who loved visiting this place. In addition, the lake is memorable in the movie "12 Chairs" in which the Great Combinator sold tickets to Failure. Therefore, near the cave, a sculpture of Bender made of bronze is so popular with tourists.
8. Park of Culture and Rest S.N. Kirov
In the center of Pyatigorsk is a great place for family and youth recreation. The park presents entertainment for different categories of visitors: a pond with swans, a contact zoo, boating, rides, kiosks with food, drink and souvenir products, a pizzeria, a cafe, a restaurant.
It is not an easy way to get to the top of Mount Mashuk (the trip takes about three minutes), but also the opportunity to see almost all the sights of Pyatigorsk from a bird's eye view. The peculiarity of the cableway is that it does not have intermediate supports. This allows you to admire the mountains of the Caucasus, the panorama of Pyatigorsk and the suburbs, the snowy, green or gold slope of Mashuk at any time of the year without interference. The cave portrait of V.I. Lenin, located at an altitude of 400 meters.
10. State Museum-Reserve M.Yu. Lermontov
A unique memorial place, which is also worth seeing in Pyatigorsk. The attraction is associated with the writer and is preserved in its original form. The museum was given the status of a historical monument at the federal level. The reserve includes Lermontov quarter - buildings associated with the name of M.Yu. Lermontov. One of the most important exhibits of the memorial quarter is the Lermontov House. A modest structure with preserved conditions, where the writer lived the last months of his life.
The reserve is located in the historical part of Pyatigorsk. In addition to this house, the museum includes:
- Alabiev’s house,
- House of General P.S. Verzilova
- house, kitchen and outbuilding V.P. Umatova
- house, stables, outbuildings V.I. Chilaev.
11. Lermontov Gallery in Pyatigorsk
One of the harmonious parts of the Tsvetnik park, as well as the former resting place of the “water community”.
The flow of tourists, which increased with the opening of the railway, necessitated the creation of an additional entertainment venue. The gallery, made of metal and glass, became a kind of unique structure, as it was connected to the Nikolaev station via a covered canopy. Inside the building housed a restaurant, billiards, reading room, ballroom.
Today the gallery looks almost the same as in July 1901. - day of its opening (glazing was replaced). The building houses the exhibition and concert halls of the Philharmonic.
The building was given the modern name a year after the discovery on the 60th anniversary of the death of M.Yu. Lermontov.
12. Second Athos Monastery
The monastery was founded and erected on Mount Beshtau at the beginning of the 20th century by Russian monks who arrived in the Caucasus from the Holy Mount Athos. The place was not chosen by chance, because according to the annals from the 9th to the 15th century there was a Byzantine monastery.
From 1904 to 1917, in the new monastery, the monks conducted economic and missionary activities, took pilgrims. After the closure (1927), the buildings fell into decay and collapsed until the 90s of the 20th century. During this period, the restoration of the monastery began, as well as the construction of the St. George Church. The Second Athos Monastery was completely restored by 2011.
Today in the monastery there is a hotel, refectory, apiary, bakery, church and historical museum. Updated iconostasis, replenished library. The territory of the monastery is being actively landscaped; a gas pipeline has been installed. In 2014, the construction of the Assumption Cathedral began.
In addition, every summer about 300 children come to the monastery to rest as part of the Green Athos youth forum.
14. Academic Gallery
The building was harmoniously located between the Hot Mountain and the Mikhailovsky spur of Mount Mashuk in the middle of the 19th century. Then the Elizabethan Gallery, built in the Renaissance style, became a place of relaxation and bathing by vacationers near the Elizabethan spring. Since 1925, the building got its current name in honor of the 200th anniversary of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
The convenient location, light and festive appearance of the gallery secured it with a "folk" name - "Stone Mountain". Here you can not only improve your health, but also take a walk in the park and look at the picturesque Pyatigorsk and its surroundings from above.
15. Stavropol Operetta Theater
This is one of those attractions that must be visited in Pyatigorsk. The building, where the theater is now located, was built in 1915 uphill in the territory of the current Tsvetnik park, a favorite vacation spot for visitors and citizens.
Initially, the “Cheerful Theater of Art Sketches” worked in the building, but during the revolution the building was looted, after which it was regularly reorganized. The former Fun Theater was the Workers' Palace, the House of Trade Unions, a library, a club, and a drama theater.In 1939, the theater began a new life with the staging of the operetta “The Wedding in the Robin”. During the war, the Nazis set fire to the building, but managed to save and restore it, so since 1943 the theater has been operating almost without interruptions.
The modern Stavropol Operetta Theater got its name in 1997, but the repertoire, as before, is in the “easy genre”.
16. Pyatigorsk Museum of Local Lore
The oldest institution of its kind in the North Caucasus. The museum, founded in 1903, has more than 130 thousand exhibits related to the North Caucasus, Pyatigorsk and neighboring regions:
- early collections of KGO,
- stone monuments from the open-air antiquity museum (the first in the North Caucasus),
- numismatic, archaeological, paleontological, mineralogical, biological, zoological, historical and documentary expositions.
In addition, the museum has a scientific library in the direction of Caucasus Studies.
17. Waterpark "City of the Sun"
Relaxing in the resorts of the Caucasian Mineral Waters, you can not only improve your health, see the sights, get rich spiritually, but also actively relax.
A modern entertainment center for relaxation for every taste and age. The water park has 13 attractions, 7 pools, a jacuzzi, an artificial river. Water in children's pools is heated.
18. Pyatigorsk necropolis
The oldest cemetery in the North Caucasus is not only an open-air museum, but also an architectural monument. The uniqueness of the place lies in the fact that the cemetery is divided by religion and nationality, since Pyatigorsk has always been a multinational city that brought together representatives of different religious views.
A necropolis was founded in 1824 at the foot of Mashuk. General von Steel Karl Fedorovich (governor of the region) was the first to be buried on it. The cemetery contains the burial places of statesmen, warriors, doctors, artists. The “builders” of Pyatigorsk, the Bernardazzi brothers, are buried here. In addition, the first (temporary) burial of M.Yu. Lermontov.
Visiting the sights of Pyatigorsk, you can organize leisure for every taste, since the resort city has a rich, interesting history, located in a picturesque place.