Wurzburg is an ancient city in the southern federal state of Bavaria (Germany), the administrative center of the historic Lower Franconia region. It is located on the banks of the River Main - one of the tributaries of the Rhine. The sights of Würzburg, in which the history of Christianity was born in Bavaria, attract thousands of tourists from all over the world.
The importance of the city in the modern world
Würzburg is a city with a developed engineering industry: car building, bridge cranes, is the center of the electrical and chemical industries. The city has developed food (winemaking) and printing industries. On the territory of the current city in 1000 BC there was a Celtic settlement.
The hill, the river and good climatic conditions gave the territory significance and were attractive to other tribes. In the IV-V centuries. Celts were supplanted by Alemans, who did not stay on the territory for long. In the VI-VIII centuries. the right to own land was conquered by the Franks. Here is the residence of the Frankish Duke of the Merovingian dynasty.
At the same time (650), Christianity was strengthened, brought to these parts by Irish missionaries. The first mention of Würzburg as a city dates back to 704. The area of the city today is about 88 km². Wurzburg is surrounded on all sides by hills overgrown with vineyards, which are located practically within the city limits.
The climate in Lower Franconia is continental and travels year round. The warmest and driest months are June, July and August. The temperature in these months ranges from 22 ° C to 24 ° C. In each summer month, no more than 4 rainy days. The minimum amount of precipitation falls in March, April and October.
Wurzburg Germany, the weather for a month.
These months often set the weather without rain. In winter, the air temperature is from 1 ° C to 3 ° C.
The population of the city is about 125 thousand people. Germans, Italians and Turks live in the city. The political existence of the Duchy of Franconia, in which Würzburg is located (the "Spicy" city translated from German), ceased in 1806. The lands were transferred by Napoleon to the Bavarian kingdom.
However, the inhabitants of Wurzburg still consider themselves Franconians, and the dialect they speak refuse to consider it Bavarian. The Franconian dialect is indeed different from the Bavarian one. While both dialects diverge significantly from the German language and are difficult for even Germans to perceive.
In Würzburg, as well as throughout Germany, the monetary unit is the Euro. It is necessary to take care of the exchange of rubles for the Euro in advance, before leaving for Germany.
If necessary, exchange in Wurzburg currency (dollars) for Euro, you can use the Western Union branch, which is located at the station. You can also exchange dollars at any bank branch at the current rate.
Würzburg (Germany), whose sights reflect the identity of Franconia, offers guests to try local cuisine. Franconian cuisine is often called monastic. Hearty and high-calorie dishes differ from German cuisine in the special secrets of cooking and serving.
- Dumplings / Cleses / Klöße. Potato balls, which include mashed boiled and grated raw potatoes. The peculiarity of Franconian kles is that the ratio of boiled potatoes to raw 1: 3.
- Red Cabbage / Blaukraut / Blaukraut. Braised spicy red cabbage with juniper berries, apples, spices and broth.
- Roast / Braten. The main dish of Franconian cuisine is fried meat. For duck roast (Entenbraten) use a special sauce on Franconian beer with vegetables, spices and bypass (wormwood). Sauerbraten beef roast is prepared with red wine marinade with vegetables, spices and juniper berries. A particularly delicious meat dish is game roast, which is prepared similarly to Sauerbraten, but served with whipped cream and lingonberry jam.
- Franconian wines. Franconian white wines make up about 95% of the region's wines. Compliance with the winemakers old Franconian recipes ensures the production of this fermented dry wine.
- Franconian beer (Würzburger Hofbrä).
How to get there
There is no airport in Würzburg, so they fly from Moscow to Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Stuttgart or Munich. The airport closest to Würzburg is in Nuremberg.
|Type of transport||Point of departure||Arrival Point||Distance to Wurzburg, km||Travel time, hour||Flight||Fare, rub|
|Plane||Moscow||Nuremberg||92||6-9||Docking (S7, Air Berlin). Transplant point: Berlin / Dusseldorf / Istanbul.||From 16,000|
|Frankfurt am Main||97||14,5|
|Docking (Air France). Transfer point: Paris.|
Direct (Aeroflot, Lufthansa).
|Stuttgart||126||6,4 — 8,5|
|Docking (Air France, Victory, Laudamotion). Transplant Point: Paris / Bergamo|
|From 7,000 to 18,000 From 14,000|
|Munich||221||15-17||Docking (Victory, Ryanair). Transfer point: Baden-Baden / Palma de Mallorca.|
Direct (Aeroflot, S7, Lufthansa).
|From 7,000 From 9,000|
The final ticket price for the selected flight date should be specified upon booking. Getting to Würzburg is more convenient from nearby cities by train or bus.
|Type of transport||Point of departure||Travel time, min||Fare, Euro|
|Rothenburg ob der Tauber||83||35-40|
In the city there are buses (27 lines) and trams (6 lines). The city is equipped with bike paths. The main path of the cyclist (Radweg) passes through the Old Town. You can rent a bicycle for temporary use at a rental point.
City transport in the city is served by one transport company. A single ticket with one fare is used for travel. The cost of 1 trip is 3 Euro. Tickets can be purchased at the terminals at stops and in transport. It is more profitable to purchase a day pass with an unlimited number of trips for 7 Euros.
Würzburg (Germany), whose attractions reflect its history, is the cultural and historical center of Franconia.
- Fortress Marienberg. The fortress of Mary, built in the XIII century. as the residence of the princes-bishops, it belongs to the oldest and most famous castles of Bavaria. The residence on the hill lasted until 1720. With the start of construction of a new residence in the city, the fortress gradually fell into decay. In 1945, it was finally destroyed and completely restored after the Second World War. Marienberg got its name from the old church of St. Mary, which is located on its territory. The fortification apartments today have museums: Franconian and Fürstenbau, conference rooms and the city archive. The fortress is located on a hill with vineyards, near the city and is visible from anywhere in the city. In turn, the fortress offers magnificent views of the city and surroundings. Climbing the hill to the Festung Marienberg Fortress is possible on foot. Entrance to the fortress is free.
- Residence. The business card of Würzburg is the residence of the bishop. The construction combines French palace architecture, North Italian palace style, imperial style and sacred architecture. The construction of the residence lasted from 1719 to 1744. Johann Balthazar Neumann, who was 33 years old at the time of receiving the order, became the main architect of the late Baroque masterpiece. The interior of the episcopal palace is decorated with frescoes and pieces by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Antonio Giuseppe Bossi and Johannes Tsikaovy. Around the residence, a baroque Hofgarten park was laid out. Since 1981, the residence has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can get to the residence from the Main Station by tram (lines 1, 3, 5), the stop "Dom / Dom". From April to October, a bus runs from Juliuspromenade (line 9). The residence is open to visitors from April to October, opening hours are from 9 to 18 hours. From November to March from 10 to 16-30 hours. Entrance fee: 7.50 Euro.
- Old Town Hall. The construction of Romanesque architecture in the central square in 1316 became the city hall. The city council bought the building from the Grafenenkart family and moved to its own house. You can inspect the town hall during a free tour, which is held every Saturday at 11-00 a.m. from May to October. On the facade of the town hall are a sundial (1453) and a green tree. The figure appeared on the wall in the XVI century. and symbolizes justice. Next to the town hall is the building of the former Carmelite Monastery, built in 1712. Since the XXI century. The building belongs to the city council and belongs to the town hall. The City Hall is the only cultural and historical site in the Romanesque style that survived during the air strikes in World War II.
Wurzburg (Germany), whose attractions include churches, cathedrals, chapels of various architectural styles and denominations, from the VIII century. became the religious center of Europe.
- St. Killian's Cathedral. The most famous religious site is St. Killian's Cathedral. The cathedral was founded by order of Bishop Bruno in 1040. Construction lasted 35 years. The architecture combines Romanesque, Baroque and late Gothic styles. The height of the cathedral reaches 105 m. The temple is named after the Irish preacher of Christianity Killian, who brought religion to German lands (the first bishop of Würzburg). The preacher was killed, sainted and considered the patron saint of the city. From the first day of the existence of the cathedral, two city bishops were buried in it, among them Bishop Killian. Tombs of the tombs - the creation of the famous sculptor Tilmann Riemenschneider and his students. Every year on July 8, the ministers of the church take the relics of the bishop to the public.
- Church Stift Haug. The baroque church was reconstructed by the Italian architect Antonio Petrini in 1691. Before the renovation, it was a monastery built in 1000. The pride of the spiritual Würzburg is located in the main altar of the church - the painting in the altar “Crucifixion” (Jacopo Tintoretto). The masterpiece arrived from Munich in 1585 from the Church of the Augustinians after secularization. The facility is located at Haugerpfarrgasse, 14
- Chapel of the virgin mary. The chapel looks unusual compared to the temples and churches of Würzburg. Gothic Cathedral is located on the Market Square. Unusual gives the exterior. White walls with bright red Gothic lace look socially elegant and fit into the fairground setting of the square. Inside, the church looks habitually conservative. The famous sculptor Tilman Riemenschneider was invited to decorate the interior of the church. In the southern portal are two works of the master: sculptures of Adam and Eve (currently copies).
The Chapel of the Virgin Mary is located on the eastern shore of the Old Town, in the Market Square (Old Town / Altstadt). From the railway station to the square can be reached by tram (line 1, 3, 5).
The sights of Würzburg (Germany) include monuments that belong to equally important sites. As a rule, sculptures are built together with fountains or a bridge and represent a single architectural complex.
- Monument to St. Killian. Near the station there is a fountain made of Carrara marble. A remarkable addition to the fountain is a bronze sculpture of the patron saint of the city - St. Killian, located on a pedestal in the center of the fountain. A sculpture of the same saint can be seen on the City Bridge.
- Monument to Julius Echter. On Kaiserstrasse, opposite Juliusspital, there is a sculpture to the founder of Julian Hospital, Julius Echter. The Prince Bishop of Würzburg, in addition to the hospital, created the Nursing Home. The complex also includes a vineyard - the property of the hospital.
- Monument to two fisherman boys. There is a monument to two fisherman boys on Karmelitenstrasse. The sculptures are mounted on a high pedestal with a small fountain. It used to be a fish trade place.
- Monument to the winemaker. On the market square there is a small fountain with a sculpture of a winemaker in the center of the fountain.
Famous squares and streets
The square and streets of the Old Town are ideal for walking, sightseeing, shopping and buying souvenirs.
- Market Square / Marktplatz. The central square of the city, on which the main city events took place. The history of the square is a joyless event that happened in 1349. The city was gripped by a plague, the appearance of which the Jews were accused of. As a punishment for the deed, the Jewish quarter was burned, and in its place was built the Chapel of the Virgin Mary. On the square, as in ancient times, there is a market with products and goods from all over the world.
- Schönbornstrasse, Domstrasse. The main streets of the city, where shops and shopping centers are concentrated. In addition to the picturesque buildings on the street there are many shopping pavilions, salons, boutiques, jewelry stores and antique shops. Here you can buy souvenirs and souvenirs.
- Juliuspromenade. In stores located on Yliyuspromenada they acquire the latest collections of branded clothing and shoes.
The two most popular tourist museums are located in the old episcopal residence - the Marienberg fortress. Museums and fortresses: Oberer Burgweg.
- Fürstenbau-Museum / Fürstenbau-Museum. It presents the apartments of the princes-bishops with furniture, tapestries, paintings and household items (1st floor). On the 2nd floor there is a large exposition about the history of the fortress and the city. The museum is open from March 16 to October 31 from 9-00 to 18-00. The exposition, located on the 2nd floor, is open for visitors from 10-00 to 17-00. The day off is Monday. In the period from November 1 to March 15, the museum is closed. A ticket for an adult costs 4.50 Euros (preferential - 3.50 Euros). General ticket for visiting museums: Maines-Franconsky and Fürstenbau - 6 Euros.
- X-ray Museum / Röntgenmuseum. The museum is located at the University of Würzburg and is a laboratory in which the scientist worked. In it, on November 8, 1895, Konrad Roentgen created a unique and great discovery of the era, which is used in medicine to this day - rays, named after the inventor x-ray. At the university, Roentgen headed the Department of Physics, and later became rector. In the museum you can see the personal belongings of the inventor, instruments, equipment, documents and photographs. The main exhibit is the cathode tube, with which the scientist made a discovery. Address: Roentgenring, 8. Entrance to the museum is free (without an excursion). The cost of the tour, lasting 1 hour - 35 Euro. For children admission without a ticket. The museum is open daily from 8-00 to 19-00. On Saturday from 8-00 to 17-00. Sunday is a day off. Address: Roentgenring, 8.
- Museum of Main and Franconia / Mainfrankisches Museum. The Mainfrankisches Museum offers exhibits and collections about the history of Würzburg for inspection. The museum presents for inspection the work of Tilman Riemenschneider, Tiepolo and Cranach the Elder. A collection of porcelain vases and antique toys is of interest. The museum presents works of art from Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire. A unique exhibition dedicated to Franconian winemaking: presses, containers, attributes of the production process.In the period from April 1 to October 31, the museum is open from 10-00 to 17-00. In the period from November 1 to March 31, the museum is open from 10-00 to 16-00. The museum is closed on Mondays. The museum’s work schedule during the holidays can be found on the official website. A ticket for an adult costs 4 Euros (reduced - 2 Euros). The cost of a family ticket is 25 Euro. A common ticket for visiting 2 museums of the fortress costs - 6 Euros.
Unusual for the perception of tourists in the city, places include several attractions.
- Alter Kranen / Alter Kranen. The construction was erected on the banks of the Main in 1773 by engineer Franz Michael (son of Neman). The crane was designed to unload arrived cargo ships. There was also a customs administration. Currently, the building houses a small brewery, which in addition to beer offers to try traditional Franconian cuisine. The most sought after dish is chopped along and baked Shoiffe pork shoulder. Served with traditional potato klessa in a dark beer sauce. You can find the brewery crane at the following address: Kranenkai, 1.
- The old bridge. The two banks of the Main are interconnected by the Old City Bridge. A stone road across the river, 179 m long, appeared in the period from 1473 to 1543. In the XVIII century. the bridge was supplemented by 12 statues, among which the patron saints of the city: Killian, Totnan and Kolonat. Here is a sculpture of Charlemagne, who was present at the consecration ceremony of the first church of the city. In addition to them, sculptures of bishops who contributed to the development of the city are installed on the bridge. Both banks of the river are clearly visible from the bridge. It is believed that the bridge is the sibling of Charles Bridge in Prague. The amazing similarity of 2-bridges is surrounded by riddles and legends. There is always a large concentration of tourists on the bridge who admire the views of the surroundings to the music of street musicians playing here.
- Wurzburg's main park is Hofgarten. The garden located around the "new" residence is not just a park. This work of landscape art is a work of the gardener and master Johann Mayer. The park has a strict layout. All plants of the park have their own shape, planted and decorated in labyrinths and arches. The garden has many walkways and is decorated with fountains and sculptures. Entrance to the park is free.
Where to go with children
Würzburg (Germany), the sights and history of which, at first glance, are conservative and pompous, offers interesting opportunities for a vacation with the whole family.
- Park Talavera. Every year in July, for 17 days, festivities (volksfest) of Kiliani are held in the park. The festival has been held since 1846 in honor of the Irish missionary and patron of the city - Killian. Here you can watch the festive fireworks, take a ride on the largest observation wheel in Europe. Attractions are interesting: “A trip to the underworld”, free fall from a height of 76 m “Sky Fall”, “Show of nightmares”. The park is located at: Georg-Eydel-Straße, 11.
- Center Laser Tag Würzburg / LaserTag Würzburg. An exciting game in the center and accuracy training will be interesting for both adults and children. The center is located at Bahnhofsplatz, 2.
- Pit-Pat Wunderland / Pit-Pat Wonderland. The leisure center offers bowling and board games. Enjoy interactive billiards with big balls. The center is located at Bahnhofsplatz, 2.
- Abenteuer Golfpark SVW05. The park is a small playground for children. There is also a cozy bar serving traditional grilled sausages. You can find the park at Oberer Bogenweg, 1.
- Dallenbergbad / Dallenbergbad. Entertainment complex on the water with various pools for adults and children. Here is the longest water slide Ruche / Rutsche, whose length is 140 m. In the center there are swimming pools for swimming and those who can not swim. There are also safe pools for babies. The complex is equipped with sunny and shady outdoor recreation areas. Opening hours: in June, July and August from 09-00 to 20-00 hours. In May and September from 10-00 to 20-00 hours. Address: König-Heinrich-Straße.
What to see in 1 day
Walking route in Würzburg can be started from the railway station (Würzburg Hbf) to everyone who came to the city for one day.
What to see:
- From the station, along Kaiserstraße, walk to Marktplatz, 1 km, travel time 15 minutes.
- To look at the square: the chapel of St. Mary, the Falkenhaus falcon house / Falkenhaus /, a monument to the winemaker.
- Buy in food stalls on the square products, drinks, souvenirs.
- From the square along Schönbornstrasse go to the cathedral.
- From the cathedral go along Domstrasse / Domstrasse to the Old Bridge.
- Go over the bridge.
- Walk along the Saalgasse along the Main.
- Climb to the fortress of Marienberg.
What to bring
To buy delicious souvenirs from Würzburg, they come to Grüner Markt / Green Market and Spezialitetenmarkt / Spezialitätenmarkt (local delicatessen market). Markets are located at the bottom of the central square of Markplatz. Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday (from 8-00 to 18-00 hours), on Saturdays (from 8-00 to 16-00 hours).
The most popular souvenirs from Würzburg:
- a boxboiler with white Franconian wine costs from 25 to 150 Euros,
- beer and wine glasses depicting the sights of the city (10-60 Euro),
- funny straw souvenirs: hares, foxes (5-10 Euro),
- vintage cards, calendars (2-5 Euros).
Full of legends and mysteries - Würzburg (Germany) will talk about the first knightly tournament (1127), the wedding of Barbarossa (1156), and the massive burning of witches (1629). The sights of the city will leave a deep impression on everyone who finds the opportunity to get to know him.
Article design: Lozinsky Oleg
Wurzburg is a Bavarian city in central Germany. It stands on the river Main. It covers an area of 87.6 km². The population is about 124,000 people. Würzburg has the status of a “free city”, that is, it does not belong to any district, but is considered to be a separate region.
Translated from German, the word “Wurze”, from which the name of the city came from, means “zest” (that is, a very special place).
Throughout history, the city has been known as the center of German winemaking and trade. Now it plays the role of a transport hub connecting the western and eastern parts of Germany. Wurzburg industry is also developing rapidly - here, as before, they are engaged in brewing and winemaking, there are several machine-building plants.
Despite the rich history and the relatively large area occupied by Würzburg in Germany, there are not as many sights as we would like. Here is a list of the most interesting (according to tourists):
The Würzburg Episcopal Residence has been the seat of local archbishops for 70 years. The building of sand color was built in a unique European style of the South Baroque baroque, which is characterized by a restrained facade and the absence of a large number of gold elements.
The interior of the Residence is a great example of how well Baroque and Renaissance styles can be combined. In total, the palace has more than 400 rooms in which clergy lived, worked, received guests and dined. The most interesting rooms are:
- Hall. From here you can get into the northern and southern apartments using the massive golden staircase. However, the main attention should be paid not to it, but to the ceiling - it is decorated with the world's largest fresco, owned by Giovanni Tiepolo. The ceiling depicts all parts of the world, as well as allegorical figures.
- The imperial hall. This large room is decorated with marble bas-reliefs and ceiling paintings that showcase the history of Würzburg.
- The small cabinet is decorated in an Asian style: sakura images, a collection of porcelain and glass panels on the walls, which significantly expand the space.
- The White Hall differs from the rest of the rooms with a large number of stucco moldings on the walls and a painted ceiling.
- In the Green Hall you can see a lot of paintings framed in massive gold frames. The walls are covered with green wallpaper.
Allocate at least 3 hours to visit the palace of the Prince Bishop in Würzburg. During this time, you can go around most of the rooms and look at the presented exhibits.
If you do not want to hire a guide, you can take an audio guide in English or German at the entrance for free.
The Princely Garden of Fürstengarten is located behind the Würzburg Residence, and is considered the most beautiful park in the city. Here you can see:
- large flower beds
- dozens of monuments
- rare species of trees and grass plants,
- observation platform with stunning views of the River Main and the Old Bridge.
The park is not large in size, but tourists say that this place is a must for visiting in Würzburg. Even in winter and spring, when the flowers do not grow, and there is no green at all, it is very beautiful here.
- Location: Res> Market Square
Market Square is the most important place in any medieval city. Sunday and Christmas markets are held here today, in the evenings locals and tourists walk or relax in the cafe.
Several important sights of Würzburg are located on the square: the chapel of Our Lady, the Town Hall and the obelisk in the center of the square. If you want to feel the atmosphere of Würzburg and look at the locals, tourists recommend coming here.
Location: Market Square, Wurzburg, Germany.
The Hofkirche Church, which is the residence's palace church, is considered one of the most beautiful in the city. Built in a rare Rococo style for Germany, it is often compared with the famous Azamkirche in Munich.
The interior of the temple is striking in its splendor and a lot of gold. Many tourists say that they were especially struck by the altar and painted ceilings. Many also speak of columns of incredible beauty made from solid pieces of marble.
Despite the small size of the temple, it is recommended to allocate at least an hour to visit it. You can visit the attraction on a daily basis, since services are no longer held here.
- Where to find: Bei Res> Old Bridge (Alte Mainbruecke)
The old Wurzburg bridge connecting the two banks of the Main River deserves special attention, because it was built in the 12th century. True, then it was built of wood. Stone appeared 2 centuries later - in the 1500s.
In the 18th century, the townspeople decided to perpetuate the memory of famous immigrants from Würzburg, and placed 12 statues on bridge piers (for example, there is a statue of Charlemagne and the protector of the city of Kilian).
The length of the bridge reaches 179 meters. The old Wurzburg bridge is often compared to the Charles Bridge in Prague - it is just as powerful and, at the same time, elegant.
Tourists recommend coming to the sights at sunset - at this time of day and photos turn out to be more beautiful, and the atmosphere is not at all what it is during the day.
Location: Alte Mainbruecke, Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany.
Fortress Marienberg - a symbol of the city, towering on a hill. From German, her name translates as "Mount Mary."
To believe that this fortress is located in the heart of Bavaria is very difficult: vineyards grow here, hills turn green, and you would think that this place is located somewhere in the south of Italy.
The defensive complex itself is a combination of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance styles. You can get into the fortress through the front gate, which is decorated with sculptures of saints and knights. The central part of the complex is a courtyard, in which there is a well, former barracks for the military, a pool for horses and stables. Also, flowers are planted here and historical reconstructions are periodically arranged.
There are several museums inside the Marienberg fortress in Würzburg:
- local history (located in the Echter bastion and in the New Arsenal),
- gallery of princely reconstructions (located in the eastern wing of the fortress),
- sculptural (western part).
Where is: Festung Marienberg, 240, 97082 Wurzburg, Bavaria, Germany.
- Opening hours: 10.00 - 18.00.
- Cost: 5 euros.
The chapel of the Virgin Mary is one of the attractions of the city of Würzburg, which symbolizes the tragic events of 1349. At that time, a plague raged in Europe, and the innocent Jews were blamed for everything. They burned their community, and in its place, as if wishing to forget what had happened, erected a chapel of the Virgin Mary.
The chapel acquired its modern appearance only after the Second World War - before that, its facade was more magnificent. The interior of the temple is a mixture of Gothic style and Rococo.
Unfortunately, after the restoration the chapel is no longer used for its intended purpose, but only works as a tourist attraction for tourists. Most travelers believe that this is one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Bavaria.
- Location: Marktpl. 7, 97070 Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany.
- Opening hours: 09.00 - 17.00.
Where to stay
Wurzburg is a medium-sized German city, but despite this, there are less than 50 accommodation options.
The average price for a double room per night during the high season at the 3 * hotel varies from 120 to 160 dollars (the price range is very large). As a rule, this price includes free Wi-Fi, a parking space near the hotel, a good breakfast and a fitness room.
As for 5 * hotels, there are only 2 of them in the city. A night will cost 220 dollars. This price includes free parking, all the necessary equipment in the room, a minibar and a spacious terrace.
The most profitable accommodation in Würzburg is apartments. A spacious studio apartment for two will cost $ 40-50 per night. This price already includes all the necessary household appliances in the rooms and essentials. Also, guests can contact the owner of the apartment at any time.
Thus, it is better to book a hotel in advance (1-2 months). It is advisable to find housing closer to the center, since the city is not small. Würzburg is divided into 13 districts, but Zanderau and Zellerau are considered the most suitable for tourists. In these areas, the largest number of attractions.
Wurzburg, Germany - a city at the crossroads, which can be easily reached.
Interesting facts and a lot of useful information for tourists about the city of Würzburg:
Posted by: Maria Protasenya
Updated: Aug 8, 2019 Potsdam (Germany) is a city in the eastern part of the state, ...
Updated: 26 Jun, 2018 Tourists come to the city of Kavala (Greece) not only ...
Diyarbakir (Turkey) - a city located in the southeast of the country on the banks of the Tigris River, ...
Updated: 27 May, 2019 Mannheim (Germany) - a city in the south-west of the country, which ...
Interesting places of Würzburg
The site contains Wurzburg attractions - photos, descriptions and travel tips. The list is based on popular guides and is presented by type, name and rating. Here you will find answers to questions: what to see in Würzburg, where to go and where are the popular and interesting places of Würzburg.
Würzburg Residence (W rzburger Residenz), located in the eponymous ancient Bavarian city, dates back to the beginning of the 18th century. The building of the Residence was built 25 years (1719-1744)
It was created as the official permanent residence of the Würzburg Elector Archbishops for over 60 years and is an outstanding example of South German Baroque architecture.
The construction of the Würzburg residence was carried out on a large scale and stretched for many years. At different stages, famous European architects were involved in it: Maximilian von Welsh, Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt, Germain Boffrand, Robert de Cote. The building was designed and led by the famous baroque master Johann Balthazar Neumann.
In the period from 1806 to 1813, the Würzburg Residence was visited by Napoleon I himself three times. He came here twice in the company of his second wife Maria-Louise of Austria.
In March 1945, during the bombing, the building suffered significant damage, the Residence lost a number of its halls, but fortunately the central part of the White and the Imperial halls remained untouched and retained their interior decoration made by famous masters.
Work on the restoration of the Würzburg residences began in 1960 and lasted for almost half a century. In 2006, the world saw a completely restored Würzburg residence.
The Würzburg residence has not only an impressive exterior, but also chic interiors. One cannot but mention the staircase of the palace, the Grand Salon and, of course, the frescoes by Giovanni Battista and Domenico Tiepolo.
Mespelbrunn Castle is located on the territory of the city of the same name, between Frankfurt and Würzburg. The castle is located in a remote place in the valley of the Alsava River, in the Spessart Forest. Memspelbrunn got its second name - “water castle” because of its interesting location. He he stands in the center of the pond. The water castle in Germany is very popular among tourists, and in the warm season you can meet tourists from all over the world.
Mespelbrunn Castle is a private property of the family of the Counts Ingelheim, who still live in the south wing to this day. Other parts of the buildings are for tourists. Mespelbrunn Castle is one of the few castles in Germany that survived despite the wars. At the same time, the castle even managed to never change its original forms.
A part of the building built in the 13th century has been preserved. Its first owner was Eamann Echter, who in 1412 built this house near the pond. His son completed his father's house, turning it into a castle, fortified with moats and walls. And subsequent owners made a renaissance estate out of defensive structures.
Furniture, lamps, many paintings, fresh flowers in vases - all this resembles a home environment. There is a knight's room hung with weapons, as well as an art gallery, which houses portraits of all the former owners of the house. And the castle is famous for its library.
And what sights of Würzburg did you like? Next to the photo area there are icons, by clicking on which you can evaluate this or that place.
Fortress Marienberg is one of the greatest symbols of Würzburg. The Würzburg fortification took an active part in many wars, from small riots to the Second World War.
At the site of the present fortress there used to be a fenced settlement and a pagan sanctuary, on the site of which they later built a fortress with the Marienkirche church, in which the bishops of Würzburg were buried.
From the 13th to the 18th centuries, the fortress served as the residence of the princes-bishops of Würzburg. Since the 16th century, the building was rebuilt into a Renaissance-style castle, which, after the conquest by the Swedes, was rebuilt into a Baroque fortress. Military structures and bastions were completed near the fortress, and a well 105 meters deep was dug inside the building.
Now in the fortress are the Museums of Maine Franconia and Fürstenbau.
In photo mode, you can view sights in Würzburg only by photographs.
Town Hall Wützburg
The Würzburg Town Hall building with the Grafenecart tower is the only example of Romanesque architecture in the city that survived during World War II, and the oldest secular building in Würzburg.
The city council bought a house with a tower in 1316 from the noble family of Grafenenkart and made it a town hall. Wenzel’s hall (the emperor, who promised the city the status of free imperial, but took his words back) in the tower of the town hall dates from the beginning of the XIII century. To see this hall, you need to join a free tour of the town hall (from mid-May to late October at 11 o’clock every Saturday, except for the days when events are held in the town hall). Also, the zucchini on the ground floor of the town hall is named after the idler king, where the absolutely unforgettable atmosphere of the late Middle Ages has been preserved to this day.
Of particular note are the green tree and the sundial on the facade of the town hall, which immediately catches the eye. The image of a green tree (a symbol of justice) dates back to the 16th century. A sundial appeared on the facade in 1453. The height of the town hall is 55 meters.
Built next to the town hall in 1712, the building of the Carmelite Monastery has also become a town hall since the 19th century.
In the middle of the 17th century, the so-called “Red Building” was added to the side. It is worth noting that its facade also survived after the bombing.
Cathedral of St. Kilian
St. Kilian's Cathedral (Würzburg Cathedral) is one of the four largest cathedrals in the Romanesque style of Germany, and its huge towers are visible from almost anywhere in Würzburg.
The cathedral is the visiting card of Würzburg and the most popular image on local postcards, calendars and gift magnets.
The Cathedral of St. Kilian was built in the XI century over the relics of the monk Kilian, one of the first to bring Christianity to the future Franconia (he was martyred with his two comrades-in-arms in 689). At the beginning of the XVI century, the cathedral was converted in the late Gothic style, and at the beginning of the XVIII century it was decorated with stucco in the Baroque style.
During the bombing of Würzburg on March 16, 1945, the cathedral was badly damaged, and in the winter of 1946 a significant part of it was destroyed. During the reconstruction, baroque elements were replaced by Romanesque ones. Since the cathedral was created over the centuries, from here is such a vividly expressed mixture of architectural styles.
Tombstones of bishops (starting from 1190) are especially interesting for tourists, including the tombstone of Rudolf II von Sherenberg, made at the very end of the 15th century by the great sculptor Tilmann Riemenschneider. The department of work of Michel Kern in 1609, the unique altar of 1704, as well as the organ of 1968 by von Kleis, one of the largest organs in Germany, are noteworthy.
Excursions are held after Easter until the end of October daily at 12:30.
The tour lasts about an hour. Cost: 3 euros per person.
Veitshechheim Palace is 7 km north of Würzburg. The palace was erected by Heinrich Zimmer between 1680 and 1682 as the summer residence of the Würzburg Archbishop Peter Philipp von Dernbach. In the years 1749-53, under the rule of Karl Philipp von Graiffenklau, it was expanded according to the plans of Baltazar Neumann with transverse structures on both sides. The attic is not used as a living space. Facades with exterior walls up to 0.70 m thick consist of stucco masonry made of natural stone and large windows with simple window glass.
Rooms with fragile antique furniture, art objects and openwork stucco work by Antonio Bossi will not leave anyone indifferent.
There is a park on the territory of the Veitshöhheim Palace. A rococo park. Created in 1702 flower garden, over time, has grown and turned into one of the most beautiful places of rest.
The most interesting part of it is the episcopal garden, where artichokes, rosemary, peppers, dill grow, and where each garden bed is equipped with the playful sign “Watch, but do not steal!”.
Alleys and labyrinths from shrubs, lakes and fountains, fabulous grottoes, a rose garden and flowers will distract you from reality for a while.
The park is divided thematically, and you can plunge into the era of gallant ladies and gentlemen, Roman gods and their companions, and the heroes of La Fontaine's fables, animals, allegories of human vices and virtues found their surprisingly expressive reflection in stone.
Chapel of the Virgin Mary (Marienkapelle church)
The construction of this white-red Late Gothic chapel of the Virgin Mary is associated with one of the most tragic pages in German history - the plague epidemic in the 14th century and Jewish pogroms. When the plague touched Wurzburg, local Jews were found guilty of this. According to one version, they decided on mass suicide in order to avoid violence, according to another they were destroyed by German citizens themselves, wiping the Jewish quarter from the face of the earth. One way or another, all the Jews of the quarter were killed, their quarter was demolished and a market was organized in its place. Where the church now stands, there used to be a synagogue, and in its place a chapel was built in honor of Our Lady.
The building was badly damaged during the bombing of 1945, but the most significant details of its appearance survived. And today's appearance of the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary acquired in the twentieth century. Architects tried as accurately as possible to convey the style of the sixteenth century. In the restored chapel you can see a bas-relief with a very unusual interpretation of the theme of the Immaculate Conception, the relics of St. Macarius in a silver casket, a relief depicting Christ and a statue of the Virgin Mary made in the Middle Ages. Speaking of bas-relief with an unusual interpretation of the Immaculate Conception. This is how you imagine the “Immaculate Conception”? It can be assumed that each in its own way. And on this bas-relief the sculptor showed his version. God is depicted on the bas-relief and a tube goes to the Virgin Mary from him. It is through it that Jesus enters the womb of the Virgin Mary through the ear. Pretty interesting option.
The Chapel of the Virgin Mary is a unique monument, both architecturally and historically. So do not ignore it when visiting Wurzburg.
The X-ray Museum is located in Germany, in the city of Würzburg. The main and most valuable exhibit of the X-ray Museum is the cathode tube, the one with which the professor of the University of Würzburg, physicist Wilhelm Konrad Roentgen discovered the "translucent" rays.
Thanks to his invention, the scientist became the first winner of the Nobel Prize in physics. His Nobel diploma is also on display at this museum.
Other exhibits include the first X-ray equipment, personal belongings of a physicist, documents and photographs dedicated to his life in Würzburg. The museum is located in a laboratory in which an outstanding physicist worked and made discoveries.
The most popular attractions in Würzburg with descriptions and photos for every taste. Choose the best places to visit famous places in Würzburg on our website.
One of the most famous sights of Würzburg is the residence of the archbishop, which is one of the most famous palaces in Germany and throughout Europe. The construction of the palace dates back to the 18th century, and one of the most prominent artists and masters of that time was engaged in the design of the building. In particular, the palace features the largest fresco in the world. The number of rooms in the palace exceeds three hundred, but only about 40 rooms are open to visitors.
The small but very well-kept garden in front of the residence deserves attention - if you get to Würzburg in spring, summer or autumn, you can admire the flowering plants. We were very impressed with the square with the fountain, which is located in front of the palace - a very atmospheric place where you can take pictures.
The palace is located in the very center of the city, so it is easy to reach. It works seven days a week, and the cost of an admission ticket is 11 euros for adults (cheaper for students and children).
The attention of city guests is also attracted by the old bridge that connects the fortress with the city center. It looks like Charles Bridge in Prague - on the sides of the bridge are statues depicting saints, as well as kings and bishops who left their mark on the history of Würzburg. The bridge is very beautiful, passing along it as if you get far into the past, but unfortunately, it is always filled with tourists, so we could not get pictures without other people. The bridge is 179 meters long.
For believers and those who are just interested in the architecture and decoration of churches, it will be nice to know that in Würzburg (as well as in the vast majority of medieval cities in Germany), a significant number of old churches and cathedrals were built, built at different periods and representing completely different patterns of architecture - from Romanesque and early Gothic styles to late Gothic.
St. Killian's Cathedral
In addition, in Würzburg there is a cathedral, which belongs to the most important Romanesque cathedrals in all of Germany. Its construction began in the 11th century, but then its appearance underwent various changes - elements in the Gothic style were added to it, and then in the Baroque style. We were struck by the interior of the cathedral - it contrasts very strongly with its rather strict appearance. Inside the cathedral is decorated in baroque style, so you can admire the gold and stucco molding. An organ is installed in the cathedral, and organ music concerts are held in the church, which anyone can attend - just buy a ticket.
Church of St. Burkhard
This church is famous primarily for being the oldest temple in the city. It was built during the early Middle Ages. Inside is a statue of the Madonna, created by a famous medieval sculptor named Tilman Riemenschneider. In addition, it contains the relics of Burkhard himself, who, according to legend, cure people of various diseases.