GPS coordinates: 43 ° 42 & # 39 03 & # 39 & # 39 NW, 7 ° 16 & # 39 49 & # 39 & # 39 VD
Great main historic square of Nice. Named after the famous native of the city - the hero of the Italian liberation movement Giuseppe Garibaldi. Near the square are located Museum of Natural History and Nice Museum of Modern Art. There is a square in the northern part of the Old Town near the port area.
In the Middle Ages, a military fortress stood at this place. In the 18th century it has lost its relevance and it was taken apart. In 1780, the king of the Sardinian kingdom, Victor Amadeus III, decided to expand the royal road leading from Turin. And since she entered the city in this particular place, it was decided to establish a triumphal gate here and set up a square that would serve to meet the rulers of Savoy. The work on the arrangement of the square was carried out by an architect from Nice of Italian-Swiss origin Antonio Spinelli.
Initially, the square received the name Parollier - it came from the medieval gate that stood here. Then it was called Piazza Vittorio in honor of King Victor Emmanuel. After the French captured the city in 1792, they renamed it the Republic Square. At the time of Napoleon, she bore his name. After the city returned to the Sardinian kingdom, it became the Square of Arms. And after joining France in 1860, the square was named after St. Augustine. Finally, in 1870, the square was named after Giuseppe Garibaldi.
All this time, the square was the center of public life of the city - various festivals and festivities were held here, as well as the great Saint-Barthelemy Fair. In the 20th century. social life gradually moved to Massena Square, and Garibaldi Square gradually lost its significance, but at the same time retained the city's flavor and tourist attractiveness.
Now Garibaldi Square has a strictly rectangular shape measuring 120 m by 90 m. It is completely pedestrian, with the exception of the only tram line crossing it. In the middle of the square rises a large Monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi, begun by the sculptor Antoine тtex and finished by Gustave Delaway in 1890. The monument is installed in the center of a small pool like a fountain.
The square is surrounded by baroque four-story houses with arcades on the ground floor in the North Italian style. Their orange facades with green shutters are decorated with volumetric painting in the style of trompley. The arcades house antique shops, cafes and restaurants. The most famous cafe "Turin" is located in the southwestern corner near the chapel of the Holy Sepulcher, it has been famous for more than a century for its seafood dishes.
Chapel of the Holy Sepulcher occupies most of the southern side of Garibaldi Square. It was built in 1784 by Antonio Spinelli during the arrangement of the square. The building is made in the neoclassical style with baroque elements and was the end point of the royal route from Turin, which lay on the site of the current Republic Avenue. The balcony of the chapel was added in 1841 and served as a tribune with which the rulers of Savoy were met. Above the portals of the chapel, you can see three cores, which are installed in memory of the siege of Nice by the Turks in 1543.
Opposite Garibaldi Square, on the west side of it, stands Museum of Contemporary Art MAMAC. His building of unusual architecture - a cruciform in plan of four glazed spans - was built in 1990 by architects Yves Bayard and Henri Vidal. The museum presents paintings, sculptures and various installations of contemporary artists, mainly abstractionists. It also offers magnificent views of the city.
About 100 meters north of Rissau Boulevard passing here is another museum - Natural History Museum of Nice. It was founded in 1846 by the French naturalist Antoine Risso together with his colleague Jean-Baptiste Barl. Moreover, the second, being a rich man, bequeathed to the city part of his fortune, including the two-story museum building with high glazed arches. Therefore, the Natural History Museum of Nice is sometimes called the Barla Museum. The museum presents a rich collection of more than a million exhibits, including various types of plants, animals, and minerals. The main specialization of the exposition is the biological diversity of the coastal Alps.
Photo and description
Garibaldi Square is one of the oldest in the city. This is a symbolic place for Nice, associated with the name of her most famous son.
She did not always have such a name: the ensemble not far from the city harbor began to form in the XVIII century. In 1773, the architect Antoine Spinelli laid the square here. By decision of the King of Sardinia, Victor Amadeus III, the Nice-Turin road was made here. The road was laid worthy of the king, the area was expanded, framed by buildings with uniform ocher-colored facades.
In 1784, the neoclassical chapel of the Holy Sepulcher was built here according to the design of the same Spinelli. She gave the square a solemn look. On the facade of the chapel above the three entrance arches you can see three cannonballs: they are suspended here in memory of the siege of Nice by the Turks in 1543.
The square successively acquired the names of King Victor Emanuel, the Republic (after the capture of the city by the French in 1792), Napoleon (during the Empire), Arms (after the city was returned to Sardinia), St. Augustine (after the annexation of Nice by France). In 1870, she was named after the great native of Nice, Giuseppe Garibaldi.
Garibaldi was born in Nice in 1807. Following in the footsteps of his father, he became a sailor. He sailed through the Mediterranean and Black Seas, in Taganrog he met an Italian political emigrant who instilled republican ideas in the young captain. For participating in a conspiracy against the monarchy in Savoy, he was sentenced to death, he fled to South America, traded, fought for the independence of the new states. It was in South America that Garibaldi cheaply bought red shirts for his soldiers, which became a symbol of his troops. In 1848, revolutions broke out across Europe, and Garibaldi hurried to his homeland. With a small detachment, he landed in Nice, after a series of brilliant victories, was defeated, emigrated to the United States. In 1859, the Prime Minister of Sardinia Count Cavour secretly met with him and persuaded him to take part in the war against Austria. Garibaldi volunteers became a force that played a decisive role in creating today's united Italy.
Garibaldi died on June 2, 1882. Two days later, the Nice City Council decided to erect a monument to the great patriot on the square. The project was created by the sculptor Antoine Atex, but he died before he managed to sculpt the statue. Sculptor Jean-Baptiste Gustave Deloyet quadrupled the pedestal and added two bronze lions on the sides. On marble Garibaldi - shirt, apparently, the same, red. His hand rests on a sword. The monument stands in the center of the majestic fountain.
Now the area is completely restored, paved with basalt and gneiss. It was mainly given to pedestrians, with the exception of the tram line crossing it. Nice green shutters stand out on the facades of the surrounding Baroque houses. In the arcades are hidden antique shops. The local cafe "Turin" is famous for seafood dishes: since 1891, they have been offering Mediterranean oysters, supplied by the company of the famous Rumegu family - the sixth generation.
The oldest of the large squares of Nice, Garibaldi Square is considered its symbol. It is located in the Old Town, in its northern part.
The oldest of the large areas Nice, its symbol is considered Garibaldi Square. It is located in the Old Town, in its northern part.
In the XVIII century. there was a wasteland in place of the square, littered with a pile of stones after the analysis of the fortress standing here. They decided to clear it, to arrange a bridgehead for military exercises. But in 1780 the situation changed. Victor Amadeus IIIking of the Sardinian kingdom and Duke of Savoy, decided to expand the road from Turin to Nice and make it suitable for carriages and carriages. The deserted wasteland had the honor of becoming the city's triumphal gate.
The design of the square was entrusted to an architect, a Swiss by origin, Antonio Spinelli. Three-story houses with reddish ocher hue walls and arcades are architecturally designed in the Italian style, since in those days Nice was part of the Holy Roman Empire. On the south side of the square a small the chapel of the Holy Sepulcher, which was the end point Royal waywalking along Republic Avenue. From the balcony of the chapel, the authorities of Nice received the Savoy rulers. And also, it offers a beautiful view of the road that once goes to Turin.
The square has repeatedly changed its name. She was called the Passenger. Later changed to Vittorio. Then it was Republic Square, after - Napoleon Square. And the modern name Place Garibaldi appeared in 1870 and finally consolidated at the end of the century after the installation of a monument to the revolutionary on it Garibaldiwho was a native of Nice.
For a long time, Garibaldi Square was a significant place for citizens. At the end of summer, a cattle fair was held on the day of St. Bartholomew, royal people were honored here, holidays were celebrated during the French Revolution.
In 2012, the reconstruction of the square was carried out. 20 Italian artists restored the decor of the square and historical paintings from drawings, projects, drawings from the Turin archive, photographs from the period 1860-1910. At the end of the work, Garibaldi Square acquired its original form.
Currently, the square has ceased to fulfill the role of the main square of the city. But residents and guests of Nice can admire the Nice Natural History Museum today, the home of Jean-Baptiste Barl, the home of the Avigdor family, located here. A small garden, established in 1869, is now a pedestrian area with a fountain, small cafes, small restaurants. And the famous Cafe de Turan traditionally sells the freshest and most delicious seafood in Nice.
06300 Nice, France
Take the T1 tram to the Garibaldi stop
Nice: Useful Information
- City Information
- Nice Map
- Where to go
- Attractions (32)
- Museums (8)
- Castles, palaces (7)
- Airports (1)
- Temples, churches, mosques (6)
- Beaches (6)
- Restaurants and Cafes (8)
- Squares (4)
- Shops and malls (2)
- Parks (3)
- Festivals, holidays, shows (2)
- Ports (1)
- Theaters (1)
- Sports facilities (1)
- Markets (2)
- Book a hotel in Nice
- Search and book cheap flights
- Tourists reviews
- Nice photos
- Nice Tips
- Question answer
- Excursions in Nice
|Bus||rest "Promenade des Arts", No. 14, 27, 38, 81, N1, N2, N3, N4, N5|
|Tram||rest Garibaldi No. T1|
The Garibaldi Square in Nice is the oldest architectural building. Locals consider this place a symbol of the city. This historical site is the main attraction that tourists visit every year. In the old reconstructed houses surrounding the square, there are cozy cafes and restaurants.
Garibaldi Square on Google maps panoramas
Garibaldi Square is located in the historic district of Nice - the Old Town. Museums are located nearby, and in the center there is a fountain with a monument to the famous Giuseppe Garibaldi. Before the square was named after the eminent Italian, this place was replaced by many other names.
History of Garibaldi Square in Nice
Garibaldi Square is located in the north of the Old Town. The history of this quarter begins in the 18th century. In 1761, by order of the king, projects were developed to build a square in the area of the ruins of the old fortress. Due to lack of funds, the idea of creating a new quarter was postponed until 1773.
In 1780, the ruler Victor Amadeus III started paving the royal road from Turin to Nice. The path was supposed to go through the area allotted for the area. To implement the plan for the reconstruction of this part of the quarter, Antonio Spinelli was chosen as the architect, who developed the project for the construction of the square.
The basic concept of this historic site is the uniformity of the buildings erected around the square. Solid ocher-colored buildings with smooth walls and painted windows. As conceived by the author, the area was to become the final destination of the road from Turin.
Garibaldi Square has changed many names since the beginning of its existence. Initially, this place was called the Place of Pairoliera, in honor of the castle gates that were destroyed. Then this part of Nice was called Piazza Vittorio. During the revolution - “Place de la Republique”. During the reign of Napoleon - in his honor "Place Napoléon".
From 1836 to 1860, this historic part of Nice was called Place Saint-Augustin. From 1860 to 1870 it was renamed again into Napoleon Square. Since September 13, 1870, the quarter in the Old Town received its current name - Garibaldi Square.
Giuseppe Garibaldi was a famous Italian commander, revolutionary and politician. He became the national hero of Italy, participated in the Risorgimento movement. He was a member of many battles and battles.
In the XIX century, the current government of Nice decided to ennoble the quarter. Here trees were planted, a fountain was erected, a monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi was erected. It was on this place at the end of the XIX beginning of the XX century that all the receptions of high-ranking gentlemen, festivities and fairs of local residents were held.
From 2007 to 2008, the reconstruction of Garibaldi Square was carried out by the architect Bruno Dumier. A tram line has been laid in the quarter that runs through the center of the historic site. The area becomes a pedestrian, with partial restriction of traffic.
In the spring of 2012, the complete restoration of the facades of the square’s buildings ended. The work lasted about two years. About 1.4 million euros were spent on restoration. 20 best masters took part in this.
Location and Attractions
Garibaldi Square is located in the north of Nice in the Old Town, near the port area. Surrounding the quarter are Catherine Seguiran and Cassini Streets, Jean Jaures and Rissot Boulevards. The area is paved with paving stones. In the central part, a tram line runs from north to south. There are several motorways connecting the streets from the south and southeast sides.
Today, this historic site occupies approximately 1.13 hectares in the Old Town of Nice. The area is 123 meters long and 92 meters wide. In the central part of the quarter, stone blocks are covered, along the edges - basalt rock tiles.
Oaks and albitsia are planted in the center of the square. The main attraction of this place is the Garibaldi monument, which stands in the center of the fountain. The construction of the sculpture was begun by Antoine тtex and completed by Gustave Delaway in 1890. In 2007, the fountain and the monument were moved 18 meters to the south due to the construction of a tram road.
Around the block are baroque buildings on four floors. On the ground floors, Italian-style arches flaunt. The facades of the houses are painted ocher. Green painted shutters are installed on the walls of the buildings. Antique and souvenir shops, small restaurants are open on the ground floors.
On the south side of the quarter is the chapel of the Holy Sepulcher, erected in 1784. The architect of this building was Antonio Spinelli. The exterior of the building combines neoclassicism and baroque styles.
To the west of the square is the MAMAC Museum of Modern Art, erected in 1990. The museum presents works of art by abstract artists.
A little further from the square along Risso Boulevard is a museum of natural science. The complex was founded by the French naturalist Antoine Risso and Jean-Baptiste Barle in 1846.
How to get to Garibaldi Square in Nice
The main tram line of Nice passes through Garibaldi Square. Tram No. T1 runs on it. Near the entrance to the square is the stop of the same name "Garibaldi".
Route map from Nice Bus Station to Garibaldi Square
Not far from Piazza Garibaldi, there is the Promenade des Arts bus stop. There are buses number 14, 27, 38, 81, N1, N2, N3, N4, N5.
You can also get to the square using local taxi services: Taxi-nice.ru, Lux Monaco, Transazur, ByCar.
Video of Piazza Garibaldi in Nice