The site contains Levoca sights - photos, descriptions and travel tips. The list is based on popular guides and is presented by type, name and rating. Here you will find answers to questions: what to see in Levoche, where to go and where are the popular and interesting places of Levocha.
Spissky Castle is a castle located near the Slovak town of Spissky Podhradie, at an elevation of 200 meters. It was built in the XII century as a fortress, which served to defend the area. Even during the Tatar-Mongol invasion in 1241, the castle was not damaged, since its owner, King Bela IV, ordered to strengthen all the walls of his citadel in advance. The modern tower, the Romanesque palace and other buildings were made of stone in the 13th century.
The system of fortifications of Spissky city consists of four main parts. The Upper Castle, located at the very top of the complex, is surrounded by an irregularly shaped wall in the Romanesque style.The central building of the Upper Castle is a cylindrical defensive tower. The palace in the northern part of the Upper Castle is also built in the Romanesque style. The palace complex in the west was built in the late Gothic style with elements of the Renaissance. In the east there are various outbuildings. The territory of the entire Spissky castle covers an area of more than 40 thousand square meters, which makes it the largest castle in Central Europe.
In 1780, a terrible fire broke out in the castle, after which the owners did not undertake restoration. Thus, only ruins remained on the site of the once powerful fortification. Only in 1961, when Spissky Grad was included in the list of National Monuments of Slovakia, did the state begin reconstruction of some parts of the castle. Now the Lower Courtyard of the castle, in 1993 included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, is open for tourists. Also on the territory of the castle is the Museum of weapons and armor, whose guides are animators dressed in medieval costumes.
Kezmar Castle is located in the eastern part of the same city in Slovakia. The first mention of it dates back to 1447. At this time, the garrison of Jan Jiskra was on the territory of the city.
In its original form, the palace was made in the style of the Middle Ages, but in 1465 it was rebuilt in the Late Gothic style by order of Imrich Zpolsky.
A century later, Kezmar Castle was again rebuilt already in the Renaissance style. Until today, it has been preserved in the form that Italian architects gave it. Today Kezhmar Castle has been converted into a museum, which is open daily, and you can visit it only in a group of no more than 4 people.
What sights of Levochi did you like? Next to the photo area there are icons, by clicking on which you can evaluate this or that place.
Castle Krasna Guorka
Krasna Guorka Castle, located near the Slovak village of Krasnogorsk Podhradie, dates back to the 14th century. In 1320, a medieval Gothic castle was built on the hill, consisting of a defensive tower and fortifications, to which in the 16th century two “lower” castles with powerful bastions were added. In the XVII century, the castle of Krasna Guorka passed into the possession of the famous noble family of Andrássy, during which the building acquired its present look in the Renaissance style. Now the castle is a medieval fortress made of white stone, consisting of an upper castle and two lower fortresses. The top of the hill is crowned by a prism-shaped tower - the oldest castle building.
On the territory of Krasna Guorka Castle, which has been included in the list of national objects of Slovakia since 1961, before the 2012 fire, as a result of which the roof was completely burned down and the interiors were significantly damaged, several expositions were located. At the exhibition of the Romanesque and Gothic periods one could see works of medieval crafts, instruments for torture, a collection of weapons. In earlier residential chambers, interiors of the 17th century with historical furniture, paintings, and jewelry were preserved. In the lower castle was a collection of medieval musical instruments. The most important attraction of the castle’s museum collection is the glass coffin with the mummy of Zofia Seredi, the wife of one of the Andrassy clan. About 90% of the valuable collection was saved during the fire by museum staff. Currently, the castle is closed to visitors, restoration work is underway here.
In photo mode, you can view the sights in Levoch only by photographs.
Sports Center Poprad
The sports center Poprad is in almost every hotel of the city of the same name Poprad. Moreover, these are not small gyms that are usual for many tourists, but stand-alone sports centers with a large list of fitness services.
It is worth noting that Poprad is a small city, the population is only about 55 thousand people, but very athletic, it houses the Poprad hockey club (playing in the Slovak championship), and until recently there was a “Lion” (played in the 2011/12 season in the KHL), which moved to Prague.
Arriving in Poprad, you will stay at a hotel, where with a 90% probability there will be a large sports center, including indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, treadmills, a football field, and much more that is necessary for sports.
Articular wooden church in Kezmarka
The wooden art church in Kezmarka, along with several other wooden churches in the Slovak Carpathians, is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. It was built in 1717 by the architect Yurai Mutterman and is considered the most beautiful of the five remaining evangelical churches in the country. Fundraising for the construction of the church in Kezmark was conducted throughout Europe.
The capacity of the church is about 21 meters high and with parameters of 30 by 35 meters - more than 1,500 people. The church has six side choirs decorated with beautiful wall paintings and wood carvings. On the ceiling, the work on the painting of which lasted several decades, depicts the apostles, evangelists and the Holy Trinity. The church is especially impressive in the 18th century organ and the altar with the central motif of Golgotha. The church was restored in the 1990s and is currently undergoing regular services.
The most popular attractions in Levoche with descriptions and photographs for every taste. Choose the best places to visit famous places of Levoča on our website.
Story| edit code
The first time Levoča was mentioned in 1249 in a letter to King Bela IV, although it existed long before that - the Romanesque church of St. Nicholas existed here in the XI century. In 1241, after the Mongol-Tatar invasion, the first German colonists came here.
In 1271 Levoca was already mentioned as a free royal city, the center of the province. In the XV century, the Levo merchants received a number of privileges from the Hungarian king. The city began to develop rapidly. The dominant position of Levochi was also confirmed by the fact of victory in the so-called “centennial war” with other cities in Spis for the right to superiority in Spis. At the same time, Levoča became the center of the Protestant movement in Slovakia.
The city began to decline in the 17th century during the anti-Habsburg uprisings. The city lost its significance in 1871, when the new railway passed Levocha.
At present, Levocha is a small city with a perfectly preserved center and numerous architectural monuments. In 2009, together with the Spissky Castle, the medieval monuments of Levoča formed a single UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The geometrical accuracy of the layout of the old city implies that you will inevitably get to the main square on the estate of Meister Paul. From the north there is the least remarkable and most famous building of the municipal chamber of weights and measures: the law of 1321 obliged every merchant who passed through this territory to stay in Levoche for two weeks, pay various taxes, giving priority to the sale to local residents. Of the three separate buildings on the square, the most valuable is the St. Jacob's Catholic Church. You can enter the church only with a guided tour that starts (every half hour, every hour in winter) at the ticket office opposite the main entrance.
In the Church of St. Jacob, everything is devoted to religious art, and the main attention is drawn to the majestic wooden altar (XVI century) of the work of master Paul from Levoč, 18 meters high and possibly the highest in the world. A small museum (daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) of the master Paul stands on the east side of the square. To the south of the church is the town hall (daily 9.00-17.00) - a squat building in the Renaissance style. On the ground floor there is a museum of Spissky Krai, and on the second floor there are brilliant examples of works by Spissky artists. The last building in the center of the square is a quaint and low Lutheran church in the neoclassical style.
Arrival, accommodation and meals in Levoca
The bus station and train station are a 10-minute walk southeast of the old town. The bureau (May-September, Monday-Friday 9.00-16.30, Saturday and Sunday 9.30-13.30, October-April, Monday-Friday 9.00-16.30) is located on the north-western corner of the main square. Every year, in early July, a pilgrimage is made to the church on the sacred Mariana Mountain. Housing is not difficult to find here. An acceptable option is the Barbakan Hotel on Kosicka, with breakfast (buffet) included in the price.
There are several cheap guest houses in the city, including Penzion pri Kosickej brane next to Barbakan. There is a good campsite Kovacova vila, 3 kilometers north of Levocha. Authentic Slovak cuisine can be tasted in Biela pani at the southern tip of the main square and in the characteristic U troch apostolov restaurant above the butcher shop on the east side of the central square. At lunchtime, Uholna 3 has a vegetarian self-service restaurant, Vegetarian, located northwest of the main square, along with the nearby Vetrova pizzeria.
The road east of Levocha leads to the outskirts of Spissky Krai, clearly outlined by the Branisko ridge, blocking the path to Presov. And even if you are not heading further east, you should definitely take a bus to Spissk Podhradje, where perhaps the biggest attraction in Slovakia is the Spissky Castle (May-October, daily 9.00-18.00). This mass of black and white ruins on the mountain is invariably present in all tourist brochures. The ruins themselves do not quite live up to expectations, but the view from the top is very picturesque. You can stay here at the good Podzamok guesthouse on Podzamkova 28 with superb castle views.
City Levoča (Slovakia)
Levoča is a small town in Eastern Slovakia in the historical region of Spis. This is a magnificent medieval pearl, still surrounded by city walls, inside of which there are: a unique Renaissance town hall, old burgher houses, a wonderful Gothic cathedral and other architectural monuments. The historic center of Levoča is one of the most charming medieval towns in Slovakia. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2009.
Geography and climate
Levoča is located in the east of Slovakia, 55 km west of Presov. The city is located in a hilly area at the foot of the Levochskie Vrhov. The climate is temperate with warm summers and cool winters.
Levoča is located 90 km southwest of Kosice and 370 km northeast of Bratislava.
- The population is 14.5 thousand people.
- Area 64.042 km 2.
- The language is Slovak.
- Currency is Euro.
- The visa is Schengen.
- Time is Central European (UTC +1, summer +2).
Levoca was first mentioned in 1249. Although, probably, the settlement here already existed in the 11th century. After the Mongol-Tatar invasion, German colonists began to populate the city. In 1323, Levocha received the status of a free royal city. Subsequently, the medieval settlement flourished thanks to trade. Local merchants traded with Krakow, Hanseatic cities and even Venice.
The heyday of Levochi fell on the 15th century, when local merchants received a number of privileges. In the 17th century (after the anti-Habsburg uprisings) the city fell into decay. Perhaps these allowed to keep the historical core in such good condition.